The Olympian In All Of Us

The Olympian In All Of Us

Do you have what it takes?

82
The Olympian In All Of Us
Naija Loaded

All around the world, people from all different backgrounds and all different stories have come together to watch the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. All of the Olympians have incredible stories of determination, perseverance, patience, strength and passion. While I've been watching and cheering my favorites on, I wondered just what it takes to be like them and reach my goals, even if they aren't Olympic-size. Through their actions, these Olympians inspire all of us to get up and start making our dreams happen, no matter how big or how small. So, what does it take to be an Olympian?

It takes a leap of faith.

You have to be able to trust yourself to know your limits, to push further than you think you can and believe in yourself.

It takes concentration.

Notice how Chad le Clos is looking at Michael Phelps, yet Michael is fixed on the finish, determined to reach his goal. Nothing can break his concentration as he swims for the gold.

It takes strength.

Your mind, body and emotions must be strong enough to overcome any obstacles that come your way. With strength, you can overcome all odds.

It takes adaptability.

Sometimes, your plans may be interrupted by a bump in the road or trees may block your view of the bigger picture. Flexibility helps you adapt and change your plans according to your situation with your goal still in mind.

It takes grace.

When things go awry or pressures get too high, grace helps you hold your head high and seamlessly dance over a mistake and move on to the next step in your plan.

It takes bravery.

When life throws a sword in your plans, you must be brave enough to confront that challenge and give it your best.

It takes direction.

Even if the skies may be hazy, you need to have a clear vision of where you're headed so you don't stray off the course.

It takes balance.

Unfortunately, the entire world can't possibly be aware of your motives and goals and tune to your agenda. However, balancing the rest of the world with your goals will help make those dreams a reality.

It takes endurance.

The road is going to get tough - almost as tough as treading water for half an hour while playing water polo. Building endurance won't make the road shorter, but it will make it more enjoyable.

It takes power.

Only you have the power to determine your future. Use it wisely and use it generously.

It takes teamwork.

No one can do everything alone. The journey you are on isn't meant to be a solo trip - success isn't fun unless there's someone there to share it with. Build yourself a team of people whom you know will raise you up and support you in the times you need it most.

It takes staying grounded.

Surround yourself with those who will remind you where you came from and humble you in your greatest moments. Remember why you are pursuing your goal and always, always, always thank all of those around you who helped you get there.

Above all, it takes believing in yourself.

All it takes is one thought, one spark, one little glimmer of hope to see the beginnings of a wonderful journey ahead of you. Everyone can tell you that you have such potential, that you have a real talent, or that you're going to go places, but those words mean nothing unless you believe them too. Likewise, everyone can tell you that you're no good and you'll never amount to anything, but those words can't be true as long as you have faith in yourself. Believing in yourself is the essential element to success. Once you have that, the world is your stage. So get up off the couch and get moving. You have a wonderful job to go do.