The Not-So Typical Sorority Girl

The Not-So Typical Sorority Girl

I define my letters, my letters don't define me

72
The Not-So Typical Sorority Girl
cosmopolitan.com

People are often very surprised when I tell them that I joined a sorority. So many people have the "typical sorority girl" stereotype stuck in their minds and nothing the atypical sorority girls seem to say helps our case. We don't really have a voice in what people think of us when they jump to stereotypes. What people don't know is that I am far from this stereotype and I believe my sorority is full of girls like me. I am proud to wear my letters and I wish people could learn to look past this phenomenon. Here's my way of trying to deny the stereotype my sisters and I are so often associated with.

1. I don't go out every weekend

I am perfectly happy staying in on Friday nights watching a movie and eating obnoxious amounts of popcorn with my best friends. I didn't join a sorority for the parties, I joined for the people. There's nothing better than having a dance party and laughing until your non-existent abs hurt until 3 am with your favorite people. I don't need a frat house every weekend to enjoy myself.

2. I hold strong to my morals and my faith

I am a Christian and joining a sorority wasn't going to take that part of me away. I am unashamed of my morals and my faith and I have sisters that don't mind that part of me, some that even share my faith. Joining a sorority was a challenge to be a light to a large group of girls and add to its positive reputation on our campus.

3. Our philanthropy is our main priority

One of the main reasons I decided to join this sorority was because of its philanthropy. Our organization's central focus is our philanthropy. A group of girls coming together for a common purpose can really make a difference and we are very proud of all that we do for our philanthropy.

4. My grades will always be my first priority

I am in a challenging program that requires a certain GPA to continue within it. I will never let my social life jeopardize the achievement of my dreams. My sorority pushes me to balance my time. It certainly keeps me busy but it surrounds me with a group of girls with similar goals than mine who will study together and push each other to be their best.

5. I need my alone time

I love spending time with my sisters, but sometimes I need time by myself. Whether it be watching my favorite show all cuddled up in my bed or taking a much needed nap after a long day, I just need a few hours to myself so I don't get overwhelmed. Joining a sorority doesn't mean you have to do everything with your sisters all the time. We certainly enjoy each other's company but I have found that I still occasionally need some "me" time.

6. I am not the beautiful tall blonde stereotypical sorority girl

I do not fit the physical sorority girl stereotype. My sorority does not choose people based on their looks. In fact, I just so happen to look like a 12 year old to most people. We are a diverse group of beautiful young ladies. We look at the character of the person, rather than focusing on outward appearance and that's one of the many reasons why I love my organization so much.

7. I have a life outside of my sorority

I am involved in a lot of clubs and organizations outside of my sorority. My sorority actually requires that we are involved in some other on-campus organization to make our sisters more well-rounded. I had a close friend group before I decided to pledge and have remained close with a lot of them throughout the process. Those friends are just as close to my heart as my sisters are and I don't ever want that to change.

8. It's not all about the social media and pictures

A sorority is so much more than the pictures you see on social media. What people don't see is the sisterhood and the flaws and issues that come with it. Being part of a group of girls comes with its drama and challenges. However, how we deal with these issues is what makes our organization functional and our bond even stronger in the end. My sorority has taught me valuable lessons about problem solving and teamwork that will serve me well in the future.

9. I wasn't super popular in high school

I went to an all-girls Catholic high school and I definitely was not part of the popular group. I didn't talk to many boys that went to our brother school and I was never one to be part of a huge friend group. I liked having friends in all kinds of different groups and I didn't really find my place until late in high school. Joining a sorority was new territory for me as I didn't really know what I was getting into, but I know now that I have made some forever friends.

10. My sorority isn't the typical sorority

When I started looking at which organizations I wanted to get involved in early in my freshman year, all I kept hearing was "Greek life is different on this campus". I found that hard to believe as I continued to look at sororities in a stereotypical way. When my second semester began, I decided to step out on a limb and give rushing a shot to find out for myself if the rumors were really true. I found some of the kindest, most genuine people when I stepped into the room that my soon-to-be sisters were. I found girls that were hard-working, driven individuals. I found leaders who weren't afraid to speak their mind. They were everything I wanted to be.

I am not your typical sorority girl and, to be honest, not a lot of girls involved in Greek life are. Look past the stereotypes and judge us based on our character. Yes, I'm in a sorority, but my letters do not define me...I define my letters.