The non-Floridians Guide to Hurricanes

The non-Floridians Guide to Hurricanes

What is a hurricane? What do I need? And when do I get the hell out of dodge?

2
The non-Floridians Guide to Hurricanes
https://www.pexels.com/photo/eye-of-the-storm-image-from-outer-space-71116/

Before you moved to Florida, you were probably aware of the very real threat of hurricanes. Hurricanes can be disastrous, and uproot whole communities. However, you may notice when a hurricane is reported to be on the way...Floridians don't really care (at least not yet). So when do you start worrying?

Category

When I first moved to Florida. what confused be the most was the categories. Dorian is a cat 3 right now, which sounds bad, but nobody seems worried. So what category do you start worrying?

Cat 1 - Expect extreme winds, rain, and possible power outages

Cat 2 - the winds speeds here are even greater (96-110mph), this is when taping up windows, and ensuring any trees around your home don't pose a danger

Cat 3- we are talking 111-129 hour winds. This is the point where I start thinking preparation and survival. Even if it's just high winds, you do not want to be driving in this weather. Starting buying supplies, and think of foods you can eat even if the power goes out!

Cat 4 - MAJOR HURRICANE HERE we are talking winds 130+. You need all hurricane supplies possible. Water, candles, radio, charge your phone, tape up windows, buy sand bags and please LOOK UP YOUR EVACUATION SHELTER

Cat 5 - this hurricane will cause catastrophic damage. A this point we are talking widespread power outages for days, destroyed homes. cars being blown away. If you didn't evacuate at 4, you might have lost your chance at 5

Supplies

Personally, as soon as a projected hurricane has reached category 3, I begin preparations. First and foremost, make sure you have water. Even if the storm isn't too bad, you don't want to be driving in even in a category 1 storm. As well, have some frozen food or ready prepared meals to keep you satiated for a few days. Postmates doesn't work well during a hurricane. If a cat 4 or 5 hurricane is projected that's when I start gathering the canned goods, matches, first aid kits. Fill your tub with water just in case you run out, and freeze as much water as you can in any containers you have. Also, sand bags are great if you think your home may flood, or you have a first floor apartment.