The No-Relationship Generation

The No-Relationship Generation

Millennials ruin everything.

15
The No-Relationship Generation
pastrypalacelv.com

Millennials take a lot of flack. We're lazy, we're impolite, and we're always glued to our phones. We take out massive student loans to try to get jobs in today's market and then we get told it's our fault when we can't pay them back. We ruin everything.

Including marriage.

But you know what? It isn't our fault.

First of all, the women's liberation movement has made it so that women are actually somewhat encouraged to go out and get their own jobs instead of only being encouraged to get married and rely on a man to make their money for them,which eliminates the need for women to get married solely for economic gain.

Second of all, gay marriage was just legalized last year. Since gay millennials didn't think they could get married up until June 2015, there was no need to plan on any of their relationships ever being able to tie the knot.

Third, look at our role models. For example, I grew up watching the class sitcom "Everybody Loves Raymond." My dad had it always playing on the television set and some of my best childhood memories involve sitting in our living room with my family, watching it and laughing together.

In case you don't know the show, the main premise is that the title character, Raymond, is trying to live life with his wife and children, but his parents and older brother move in across the street and pretty much wreak havoc in his life.

Here are his parents, Frank and Marie

Frank and Marie are notorious for fighting all the time and pretty much making marriage look miserable. Who wants to spend their life chained to someone that they hate for the rest of their life? Never mind all of the other television shows and movies where spouses cheat on each other. Why marry someone if they are just going to sleep around anyway?

We can't just blame media, either. With divorce rates climbing higher and higher, more and more children are growing up in broken homes, never witnessing firsthand a relationship that actually worked. If Brad and Angelina can't do it, then how can anyone make it work?!

Sure, us millennials have grown up watching Disney movies, giving us unrealistic expectations of how relationships should go. But those movies cut off at the "Happily Ever After." Slaying dragons and defeating evil witches is the easy part compared to making a marriage work.