The New Year's Massacre

The New Year's Massacre

Terror attack in Istanbul leaves New Year's celebrations with a heavy heart.
5

Early Sunday morning in Istanbul there was what is being called the New Year's Massacre. According to the New York Times, there were at least 39 deaths, including 25 foreigners, as of Sunday afternoon. With the loss of many legends in the entertainment business, from Alan Rickman, most known for his role as Serverus Snape in the Harry Potter films, to William Christopher, who played Father John Mulcahy in M*A*S*H, the TV series, many of us believed that 2017 could not be worse than the heartbreak that was found in 2016. However, with the way it has started I find little hope for it to be much better.

The night club in Reina that was targeted is known to host popular athletes, soap opera stars, and wealthy tourists. The suspect has not been arrested, and there is currently a nationwide manhunt underway.

This is the second attack in two weeks that has come upon Istanbul. No group has yet to claim the attack however, some question whether or not the recent attacks have to do with Turkey's apparent support of the Islamic State in Syria.

There are few details on the attack, as the Turkish government has implemented a media blackout, allowing only official statements to be reported.

A terror attack was far from how any of us wanted to ring in the New Year. As I read the story early this afternoon I couldn't help but wonder if this is any indication as to how the rest of 2017 will go. My prayer is that this is not the case, however in the world we live in I cannot say I would be surprised.

My heart goes out to the people of Istanbul, and the victims and their families of the attack. May the suspect be caught, and may 2017 bring us much better things.