Yes, The Net Neutrality Repeal Will Hurt Us All

The net neutrality repeal is going to be voted on December 14th and this is why you should care.

61
Catholic Diocese of Cleveland

The Internet is a wonderful thing. It is a resource for basically anything that anyone could want. The Internet is utilized by people in so many different ways, whether they are at work, school or at home wanting to relax watching Netflix in bed. There is something for everyone there, and so far, there have been no restrictions on the way that people use it, but that could all change very soon.

Net neutrality, or the idea that internet providers should not limit consumer’s access to content, regardless of source, and without favoring or limiting access to particular websites or products, is how the Internet operates now. This provides equal access to the Internet, regardless of provider or service that one chooses. This regulation was passed in 2015. However, the US Federal Communications Commission, or FCC, has a new idea they want to implement as soon as possible.

Ajit Pai is the chairman of the FCC now and he has always been critical of the previous regulation, and now, he has the power to create the change. Pai believes that broadband should not be regulated like it is a utility. He argues that the Internet is “the greatest free-market success story in history.” He wants the Internet to be an open market to allow more market growth, though critics believe that his motivations are more leaning toward allowing internet providers to charge consumers for higher speed Internet and limit their ability to access certain websites.

Basically, the repeal of net neutrality would allow internet providers, such as Comcast and Verizon, to limit how quickly consumers can access the Internet, as well as what they can see on the Internet. There would essentially be “fast lane” Internet available to consumers for an extra fee while the rest of consumers would have to deal with slow Internet if they could not afford the higher price. Providers could charge websites higher fees for them to get preferential access. Not only that, but providers could block and limit certain websites and sources in their own best interest. For example, Comcast could legally block articles and information pages about Verizon so that their customers are not swayed towards the other provider. The only rule that would be put in place to keep ISPs in line, would be that they legally have to tell the consumers when they are affecting the services they provide, such as the ISPs blocking certain sites.

The only people that would think this is a good idea would be people making money off of this venture. No consumer wants to pay more money per month in order to get high-speed Internet and then have to pay extra fees to even reach their own social media platforms. Even technology companies, such as Amazon, Facebook and Twitter, have expressed their disapproval. No one with an Internet connection is going to want this to occur because of the hassle that it will create for good high-speed Internet. If a consumer cannot afford the package that provides the perfect Internet that they are used to, then they may have to spend a lot more time watching the buffer wheel go around on their screen.

This proposal will be voted on December 14tth during the FCC meeting and it is likely to pass. The nightmare of spending more for less may very well become a reality for Internet users. This could spell issues for small companies that cannot afford the most expensive package and ordinary people that are unable to pay the more expensive bills. However, there is a way for everyone to get involved that could change the outcome of this decision.

To show support for net neutrality, there are petitions, like this, for people to sign. People can text RESIST to 50409 to send a direct message to the congressman in their district and get their attention about this issue. Also, one can file their own proceeding on the FCC website for Internet freedom. Calling congressmen is not a waste of time because it lets them know what issues their constituents are concerned with, and if they get a large enough backlash about this repeal, they may try to influence how that situation is handled.

Net neutrality is the best way for the Internet to run in a way that provides equality for all consumers. Pai wants to take away those opportunities in order to make the Internet a money-making machine for ISPs that will severely affect everyone that uses the Internet. This will affect normal everyday people at home, businesses and people who primarily make their income from the Internet, such as artists and journalists, to just name a few. This will be a devastating blow to everyone’s wallets, and once this has been passed, we will be stuck with this for a long time to come. This is an issue that everyone should be concerned with, and it is in everyone’s best interest to try to change the minds of the people in power right now that believe that this is a good idea. If we don’t, we will have to pay more for less, and the Internet will be changed forever.