The National Football League Is Dead

The National Football League Is Dead

Patriotism is barely alive these days.

354
The National Football League Is Dead
The Inquirer

Since the start of this country, people have used protests as a way to stand up and fight for what they believe in. Some sign petitions while others march in the streets with voices raised and arms high in the air. It has infiltrated the workplace, public areas, and our personal lives. And now, in the wake of Donald Trump's presidential election, protests have entered the sports world.

It all started a little over a year ago with Colin Kaepernick, ex-quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers. Although unnoticed at first, Kaepernick remained seated during the national anthem prior to a preseason NFL game. His reason? To fight the oppression of black people and others of color. It made headlines everywhere, of course, but the news soon quieted down until more recently, when it has popped up in Twitter feeds, Facebook timelines, and news sources nationwide.

Before each football game (and every sport, for that matter), the national anthem is sung. It's one of my favorite parts of college football - standing in the stadium, hand over my heart, proudly listening to our country's anthem with thousands of other loyal citizens. I never grow tired of it, because I love this country so much and the freedoms it offers.

Such isn't the case for NFL players across the United States these past few weeks. Even the team owners and coaches are participating in this "silent" protest against racial oppression. The Seattle Seahawks and Tennessee Titans stayed in the locker room for the entirety of the anthem. New Orleans Saints' players sat on a bench, heads down. Tampa Bay Buccaneer DeSean Jackson put his hand over his heart but still knelt until the anthem was complete. Mike Tomlin, the Steelers' head coach, promised to keep his whole team in the locker room until the start of the game. Only one Steeler defied this promise and stood proudly on the field, head high, hand over heart.

Only one player.

I've said it a million and one times but I cannot say enough: What the hell is happening to our country? How have we reached such a point that renowned football players will not even respect our flag? It's disappointing and so incredibly frustrating.

People are going to say horrible and cruel things about black people. They're also going to say terrible things about white people, politicians, celebrities, parents, children, students, employees, and immigrants. No one is ever immune from scrutiny. It's our human nature. We criticize, and that will never change. Could we be nicer people? Absolutely. But nothing will ever eradicate oppression of various kinds. Trump won't. The Democrats won't. The feminists won't. The Christians won't. And football players won't. We are a divisive nation because we are completely incapable of agreeing with every single human that exists in each of the 50 states.

You don't need to kneel. You don't need to chill in the locker room while everyone else takes a moment to celebrate those who fought for our freedom. You don't even need to link arm in arm. You are here to play football, make millions of dollars, and be grateful for what you are given, because let's be real, are these football players really that oppressed to the point where they cannot put a hand over their heart? If they refuse to acknowledge the national anthem, then they don't belong in a national football league. They might as well just quit; that would say so much more than what is being done now. It's a team sport, so please stay unified as a team, but don't disrespect those who fought for you, your family, and your friends.

Who cares what Donald Trump tweets. Kneeling isn't going to change anything. It's not going to affect the Black Lives Matter movement or institute some new racial equality laws in this country. It's not going to impeach Trump or stop white supremacists. The people are angering the people. Regardless of who is president, if you refuse to disrespect this country, you don't deserve to live here. We have an unfathomable amount of freedom, but no one seems to see that anymore.

Stand up, Kaepernick. Come out of the locker room, Mike Tomlin. Unlink your arms and put your right hand over your heart. This is the United States of America for God's sake.

The Star-Spangled Banner deserves our respect. Our veterans and active military members deserve the utmost praise.

I'm disgusted. We are a disgusting people.