The Misunderstood Predator

The Misunderstood Predator

Fish (and humans) are friends, not food!

22
The Misunderstood Predator

I feel incredibly sorry for sharks.

That might sound stupid, considering they could easily bite through me, but I feel sorry for them. When you think of a shark, what comes to your mind first? Ravenous man eater that rules the ocean? What was the last thing you watched with a shark in it, Jaws?

The guy who wrote Jaws actually regrets writing it because of the reputation it has given sharks.

Sharks are constantly killed to make the oceans "safer", which is a load of bull (shark. Get it? That's a joke, because bull sharks are a thing...alright whatever). When you kill a shark, you're killing something that has existed since the time of the dinosaurs, existed for 400 million years, and has evolved very little since then, because they're so great at what they do.

Humans kill far, far more sharks than sharks kill people. Wanna know how many sharks killed people in 2008? 4. Wanna know how many dogs killed people in the same year? 49. Think about how many people get into the ocean every single day throughout the world. It's a lot, and guess what? There are not a lot of reports of people being bitten. Why?

Because we taste gross and the sharks do not want to eat us. I know us humans like to think we're the greatest things ever, but we really don't taste that good to one of the oceans top predators.

I get sad every year when summer comes around when I see sharks getting this terrible treatment. We are going into their area, the water, and then blaming them when we get bit on accident. That's like aliens coming to Earth, our place, one human hurting them, and then the aliens deciding to destroy as many humans as they can. People get scared of one shark like the one in Jaws that doesn't even exist, and decide to kill all sharks, all 500 shark species that exist.

Remember how I said it was very rare that a person gets killed by a shark bite? Well, we kill at least 100 million sharks every year. That doesn't seem very fair, huh? One of the main reasons humans kill sharks is for their fins, which can be used for different kinds of food and in other ways. People use the guise of the sharks are bad and are killing people to justify their actions.

I suppose I started thinking about writing this article when I saw the trailer for an upcoming shark movie (I won't link the trailer, because I don't want to promote something that is yet again giving a bad name for sharks, but you've probably been seeing the advertisements). It made me angry that a movie is coming out that shows the shark as the evil villain, that is completely dedicated to taking out humans just because it can. It could possibly make happen what Jaws made happen in the 70's: a wide reaching resurgence of the fear of sharks, and more efforts to harm the creatures.

Sharks really aren't out to eat you and everything you love. They're just trying to live their little shark lives (which isn't actually that little considering they can live for 20 to 30 years in the wild), and want no part in our lives. The only reason they bite us in the first place is because we go swimming in their area and we happen to look like a yummy seal or turtle.

My main point: Sharks are chill, and don't want to eat you. So next time you go to the beach, remember the shark, and how they're out their swimming. Know the risk of getting in the water, because hey, you could be one of the few who does get bit. But don't blame the shark. Every time a bee stings you, you don't want to kill all the bees that exist, so you shouldn't want to kill every shark in the world just so you can swim in the ocean care free. Go swim in a lake, there typically aren't sharks there.

Now, to lighten things up a bit, here are some cute pictures of sharks just doing their thing:

"Oh, hey there! Nice to meet you! Lovely day for a swim."

"Rawr, I'll bite you, chomp chomp. jk look at how cute and tiny I am."

Sharks are bros. He saw his bud get dumped by that other shark.

He just wants to help, how nice!