The Men Of 'Sex And The City:' From Worst To Best

A recap of six seasons of significant others.

4797
The Huffington Post

If you have watched all six seasons of "Sex and the City" as many times as I have, you are bound to have a favorite man of the series (other than our beloved Stanford.) While the men Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda eventually end up with are probably as close to perfect for them as we can get, there were some who got away without proper recognition. So, according to an HBO junkie, here is my rank of the men of "Sex and the City," from worst to best.

11. Aleksandr Petrovsky

Starting with the worst of the worst, we have Carrie's boyfriend Aleksandr. This small and pompous Russian is easily the worst significant other of the series. Not only does he hit Carrie, which is grounds for killing him off the show all on its own, he also drags her away from her beloved Manhattan. There were few moments when I thought he was at all charming, especially because most of his charm was just arrogance wrapped in romantic frill. Aside from being bigger than Mr. Big by asking Carrie to join him in Paris, he still has no redeeming qualities. He's at the bottom of the barrel, and that will never change.

10. Jack Berger

Otherwise known as the 12-year-old boy who broke up with Carrie on a post-it note, Jack Berger is the second worst character. He couldn't handle constructive criticism, his girlfriend's success, or the slightest amount of relationship issues. Not only that, but he had no romantic chemistry with Carrie whatsoever. While his witty comedy gave all of the girls a laugh, he could never put aside his problems and be there for Carrie. As a fan, that is simply unacceptable. Boo you, Berger.

9. Richard Wright

It was a tough call placing Richard as the third worst character, but considering his cheating record, it had to be done. Richard was in many ways perfect for Samantha. He was exactly like her in terms of sleeping around, and he hated monogamy to the same degree as she did. However, he was simply unable to be an adult when he needed to be, and that is, again, unacceptable. While Samantha realized she loved him and, to some extent, put aside her fear of monogamy to be his girlfriend, he could not do the same for her. Yes, he certainly loved Samantha, but in the end he was just too much of a cheater and a man-child to prove it.

8. Trey MacDougal

Trey had some issues on all accounts, but after everything was said and done, he left Charlotte respectfully. He is placed so low on the list almost directly because of how many times he used the word "alrighty," but aside from that, he was a complete mama's boy. While I admire that he eventually told his mother off and gave Charlotte the apartment and the respect she deserved, he was never a Grade A husband. Being completely out of tune to Charlotte's emotions, the man even went so far as to give the barren Episcopalian princess a cardboard cutout of a baby as a joke. Not cool, Trey. Not cool.

7. Skipper Johnston

Poor Skipper. This Season One boyfriend to Miranda and friend to Carrie never had a chance. I don't know whether to call him the fifth worst character or the seventh best because while our old Skippy had some serious nagging qualities and constantly exuded insecurity, he was also the biggest sweetheart of the show. Being a hopeless romantic, it was never fair that Carrie tried fixing him up with Miranda. However, the countless voicemails he left her after just one date speak for themselves. You have to do better, Skipper.

6. Robert Leeds

I firmly believe that Robert and Miranda's relationship would have been much longer if her love saga with Steve weren't already underway. While he owes his demise quite simply to unfortunate circumstances, Robert had many great qualities. He was gorgeous, was the athletic trainer for the New York Knicks, and brought a lot of warmth to our somewhat cold Miranda. He cooked for her, cared for Brady, and showed an interest in every part of her life. His main flaw, aside from just not being Steve, was the childish way that he handled his breakup with Miranda. I've deducted multiple points for his classless act in the hallway of their building, which inevitably lands him at dead center on the list.

5. Aiden Shaw

Being that he dated Carrie twice and was engaged to her, there is much to say about Aiden. He was a wonderful, perfect boyfriend -- extremely handsome, humorous and kind -- who would have done anything for Carrie. Considering that she cheated on him, a regrettable act which effectively ended their relationship, many people feel that he was the victim of Carrie's indecision and immaturity.

However, I believe that the underlying issue of the Carrie-Aiden chronicle was that he was all wrong for her. Our clever queen of Manhattan could never end up with a woodsy man who went camping and stayed in on a Saturday night with a bucket of fried chicken. It isn't that there's anything wrong with those qualities, it's just that they aren't what the column is made of. Not only did he develop some understandable trust issues, but overall, the shoe just didn't fit. I feel for you, Aiden, but you're still only the fifth best.

4. Mr. Big

This may be an unpopular opinion, but the show says it all. Mr. Big was easily the boyfriend that Carrie's three closest friends despised most. His inability to commit, cowardly "grand gestures," and untimely voicemail messages made him that jerk almost every girl has fallen for. Throughout the series, it often felt that he set out to hurt Carrie and return her to a state of emotional instability any time that she appeared to be happy. However, in the end, he put aside his juvenile antics and realized how much he needed Carrie in his life. He truly was a perfect match for our Carrie from his head to his patent leather toes. He was just as brilliant, charming and unique as she, and most importantly, he was just as Manhattan. Of all of the men she entertained, he was the only one who was ever as much like New York as she was. Aside from his many, many faults, Mr. Big was home to her, and we can't knock that.

3. Steve Brady

Not only is he the only man who can sweep a girl like Miranda off her feet, but he's the only one who never tried to make her that girl who gets swept off her feet. Steve was the only of Miranda's boyfriends who completely understood even her most frustrating qualities. What I love most about Steve is that he wasn't just Miranda's boyfriend and the father to her child, but he was her friend. And on top of that, he realized the most important thing, how much she cared about her friends. If six seasons taught me nothing else, it's that friendship always comes first. Snaps for you, Steve.

2. Harry Goldenblatt

It was a close call, but Harry and his bald head somehow managed to edge out Steve. It may be because I love an underdog story, and Harry was certainly this. He was the most unexpected suitor for our prim and proper Charlotte, but he and his hairy back managed to charm their way into both her upper east side apartment and her heart. Harry had a way of knowing Charlotte and being everything that she needed, while also bringing her out of her shell. Harry is hands down the second best man of the show simply for the way he remained himself throughout the series, no matter how that clashed with his beloved Charlotte's perfect world. He added all of the carefree and fun-loving spirit that Charlotte and the show itself had been needing all along. And for that, Harry Goldenblatt, we thank you.

1. Smith Jerrod

This may seem like a strange pick to be the number one man of the many, many men who graced the screen, but I stand by it. While Smith was by far the youngest man and at first appeared to be the least serious, in the end he was the most virtuous. Smith did what fans could never see coming and taught our stubbornly independent Samantha how to love. He was the first man to let her maintain her wild and free lifestyle while standing idly by and loving every bit of her nonetheless.

Smith never cowered away from any part of his relationship with Samantha, but instead faced every obstacle they encountered with everything he had, including Samantha having breast cancer. He never took an out when it was given to him, but stood by her through everything. Smith Jerrod was by far the best man to come out of these six seasons, and he did it all while being gorgeous and young, thoroughly proving that "Sex and the City" is in fact a work of fiction. However, Smith is still number one, and that's all there is to it.

I've watched this series countless times, taking something away from what each of these men brought to the table for our four favorite girls. While we all know that these women would have been just fine on their own, it was fun meeting the various male characters that we can all equate to some special or not so special person in our life. While your ranking of these characters may vary, I thank the show for all of the times I could so easily apply it to my life. I mean, after all, we've all had our Mr. Big.