The Lyrical Genius Of Twenty-One PIlots

The Lyrical Genius Of Twenty-One PIlots

Sometimes the quiet is violent.

957
The Lyrical Genius Of Twenty-One PIlots
VocalTune

What used to be under wraps and on the low, Twenty-One Pilots has really sparked a fire in the mainstream realm of music with their (extremely) popular song "Stressed Out" from their latest album "Blurryface." You can't scroll through the radio stations without hearing the melodically upbeat tunes from the duo, Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun. Twenty-One Pilots is certainly a different band of the new age, their genre ranging from indie to rock to electronica to even hip-hop. They cannot be placed in just one category — no, they seem to do them all. But don't let the giddy, upbeat instrumentals fool you as the lyrics that go with them are quite the opposite. Their lyrics tend to be much deeper, sadder and thought-provoking than the sound may lead you to believe. This, my friends, is why Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun of Twenty-One Pilots are, indeed, lyrical geniuses. Though it's difficult to narrow down their best lyrics, I will choose my personal top ten Twenty-One Pilots songs that I believe best showcase their lyrical talents.

1. "Be Concerned"

"Be Concerned" from the album "Regional At Best" (2011), though an older song of theirs, is one of my latest addictions. Though this song was written about the duo's singer/rapper Tyler Joseph questioning of faith, it can — sort of — pertain to whatever you want it to. The lines that stick out most to me are:

"No music,
And I could talk about anything,
Whether or not it's worth while,
Is based on who's listening,
Most of us listen if it's,
Something we can relate to,
All of us relate,
If it's something we've just been through,
Take it for granted,
Trust is damaged and now we panic,
Living empty-handed..."

I find these to be extremely easy to relate to because most of the time, we listen to certain types of music depending on what we happen to be going through at the time. This is the same with what we talk to people about, as the lyrics describe.

2. "Ride"

From the most recent album, "Blurryface" (2015), "Ride" is basically about your personal journey through life; mental contemplation about where you've been and what is to come.

"But literally, I don't know what I'd do
"I'd live for you, " and that's hard to do
Even harder to say when you know it's not true
Even harder to write when you know that tonight
There were people back home who tried talking to you
But then you ignored them still
All these questions they're for real like
Who would you live for?
Who would you die for?
And would you ever kill?

....

I've been thinking too much...help me."

3. "Car Radio"

Not even about to prance around it, this will always be my favorite Twenty-One Pilots song. It's the song that got me into the band back during freshman year of college and it is still one of my top favorite songs of all time. This song is originally on the album "Regional At Best" (2011) but was then remastered on "Vessel" in 2013 with a longer outro, which in my opinion, is way better than the first. In this song, Tyler Joseph is talking/rapping about sitting in his car without a radio because it was stolen. Here his thoughts run rapidly creating a song that may sound silly, but in perspective it's pretty spot on.

"There are things we can do
But from the things that work there are only two
And from the two that we choose to do
Peace will win
And fear will lose
There's faith and there's sleep
We need to pick one please because
Faith is to be awake
And to be awake is for us to think
And for us to think is to be alive
And I will try with every rhyme
To come across like I am dying
To let you know you need to try to think

I have these thoughts
So often I ought
To replace that slot
With what I once bought
'Cause somebody stole
My car radio
And now I just sit in silence."

4. "Fake You Out"

From the album "Vessel" (2013), "Fake You Out" is yet another upbeat, "happy" sounding song, but is extremely lyrically deep. It pertains to facades and walls that people tend to put up in front of others.

"And the wrists of my mind have the bleeding lines
That remind me of all the times...
I have committed
Dirty dirty crimes that are perfectly form-fitted
To what I've done and what I'm doing
I'm brewing and losing and spewing infusing
And believe me that's what all the kids are doing
What kids are doing are killing themselves
They feel they have no control of their prisoner's cell
And if you're one of them then you're one of me
And you would do almost anything just to feel free...
Am I right? Of course I am
Convince me otherwise would take all night
Before you walk away, there's one more thing I want to say
Our brains are sick but that's okay.

...

I'm so afraid
Of what you have to say
Cause I am quiet now
And silence gives you space..."

5. "Lovely"

"Lovely" is from the album "Regional At Best" (2011), and it tells the tale of someone helping another who is going through a dark time in his/her life. It's an absolutely lovely song lyrically and otherwise. Again, the beat to this song will make you want to get up and dance around the kitchen while doing housework, but that's the genius of it.

"Dear friend, here we are again pretending
To understand how you think your world is ending
Sending signals and red flags in waves
It's hard to tell the difference between blood and water these days
I'll pray that one day you see
The only difference between life and dying
Is one is trying, that's all we're going to do
So try to love me and I'll try to save you.

Won't you stay alive
I'll take you on a ride
I will make you believe you are lovely."

6. "Before You Start Your Day"

From the self-titled album produced in 2009, I used to listen to this song literally every day when I woke up back during freshman year of college. Though very slow paced, listening to the vocals of Tyler Joseph as I was getting ready each morning made it that much brighter and more bearable to get through it. This song is basically comforting someone who believes he/she is imperfect, letting them know to always make sure they are OK and that they don't need any sort of product to hide their flaws; they are completely perfect regardless and just need to open their eyes and see for themselves.

"Look in the mirror and ask your soul if you're alright
Put out the glitter that your soul hides behind
You're in my mind
I'm singing
You're in my mind
I'm singing la-da la-da la-da la-da la-da la-da da

Nowhere were they holy
Open up your eyes and see."

7. "Migraine"

Taken from the album "Vessel" (2013), "Migraine" talks about Tyler Joseph's battle with depression. This song, while being hella catchy, tells just how strong the lead singer is because, to be completely honest, to be able to write that andsing about it for others to hear is extremely difficult to do. And that is why this song makes the top ten list. You've made it this far...kid.

"Sometimes death seems better than the migraine in my head,
Let it be said what the headache represents,
It's me defending in suspense,
It's me suspended in a defenseless test,
Being tested by a ruthless examiner
That's represented best by my depressing thoughts,

...

Something you won't forget, it's all about my forehead,
And how it is a door that holds back contents,
That make Pandora's Box's contents look non-violent,
Behind my eyelids are islands of violence,
My mind's ship-wrecked, this is the only land my mind could,

...

'Cause sometimes to stay alive you gotta kill your mind."

8. "Can't Help Falling In Love"

Even though this song is a ukulele cover done by Twenty-One Pilots, originally made famous by Elvis Presley, it is one of my absolute favorites. So much so that I had to learn it on the ukulele myself. It's a beautiful song, no matter who sings it. But, in my opinion, it's even more amazing and romantic on the uke.

"Like a river flows
Surely to the sea
Darling so we go
Some things were meant to be

Take my hand, take my whole life too
'Cause I can't help falling in love with you."

9. "Tear In My Heart"

Located on the album "Blurryface" (2015), this song was written about the relationship between Tyler Joseph and his wife. She made him feel things he had never felt before and that is something anyone who has been in love can relate to. We've all been through darkness and while nasty habits can ease the pain, it takes a special someone to come and show you the light.

"Sometimes you've got to bleed to know,
That you're alive and have a soul,
But it takes someone to come around to show you how.

She's the tear in my heart, I'm alive,
She's the tear in my heart, I'm on fire,
She's the tear in my heart, Take me higher,
Than I've ever been.

The songs on the radio are ok,
But my taste in music is your face,
And it takes a song to come around to show you how."

10. "Kitchen Sink"

To close, I'll end on a motivational note with "Kitchen Sink" which is on "Regional At Best" (2011). This song is about finding your own purpose and own meaning to things because what something means to me is not going to be what it means to you. Also there's purpose in everything, don't believe something you have ever done is pointless because it's definitely not pointless. Only you can figure out where you go on from here...are you going to just sit there or are you going to do something about it? The choice is yours.

"I'm a kitchen sink,
You don't know what that means
Because a kitchen sink to you
Is not a kitchen sink to me, OK friend?
Are you searching for purpose?
Then write something, yeah it might be worthless
Then paint something then, it might be wordless
Pointless curses, nonsense verses
You'll see purpose start to surface
No one else is dealing with your demons
Meaning maybe defeating them
Could be the beginning of your meaning, friend."

To be honest, I could go on and list reasons as to why each and every Twenty-One Pilots song is lyrical perfection, but that would be a long article and it would take some time. If you haven't seen/heard of Twenty-One Pilots prior or just haven't really listened to them in depth, please do so. I highly recommend starting with "Vessel" (2013), it's the primary album that got me into this band and I assure you'll enjoy it. Don't let the upbeat, peppy dance vibes that the sound gives off fool you; underneath that glittery layer is a dark undertone that is absolutely beautiful. Because you know what, sometimes the quiet really is violent.