The Long And Winding Road

The Long And Winding Road

The Beatles' classic song debunked.

9
The Long And Winding Road
Wallpaper Folder

"The long and winding road
That leads to your door
Will never disappear
I've seen that road before
It always leads me here ." -The Beatles

Unfortunately, that is not how life works.

I'm a planner. I've planned my life since I was a small child. At age four, I planned my career (an actress, dentist, and veterinarian by day and a secret agent at night). At age eight, I planned my wedding down to the cake design (white with pearls and icing that resembles lace). And at age 12, I planned how I was going to retire (on a horse ranch in Arizona). You could say that I am very type A.

Since I am extremely type A, I really hate change and things going not according to plan. Because of this, I also like to have a backup plan just in case it cannot work. Little did I know that God was going to teach me a very important lesson.

It all began my freshman year of college. I came to Grove City College as a biology major ready to become a pediatric nurse. I had my schedule planned out perfectly. However, when I started my classes, I did not enjoy them. Chemistry was too hard, calculus was impossible, and the labs were confusing. I was very disappointed in myself, knowing that I made the wrong turn in my path of life.

During the winter of my freshman year at Grove City, I was stuck and I did not know what to do. I was stuck with a major that I was not happy with and a career path that I was not 100 percent happy with. Then, that Christmas break I was talking with my Latin teacher about my career path, and she suggested that I try teaching young children since I was able to successfully tutor four Latin students. I then decided to take that offer up and started to take education classes the fall of my sophomore year.

I loved my education classes, except for the fact that my grades were not high enough to progress through the certification stages of the major. I was behind with not only grades but with the year as well. I was also stuck and was very frustrated with myself with this major.

However, this past summer break, I suddenly had a better attitude toward changes in my life. I realized that God knows what he is doing in every aspect of my life, from relationships to school. God knows what I am going to do in my life, but like the type A that I was, I wanted to do life my way. I was not listening to God, and I have suffered for it.

Over this fall break, I decided to take a French major with a Classical Christian Education minor. Yes, I have changed my major three times throughout college, but I have learned so much more than I would have if I had found the major that I was supposed to be. Sometimes, God has you go through hard and blind trials for you to figure out where you truly belong.

My message to you is this, reader: sometimes the road ahead may be foggy. Sometimes the road ahead may have a sharp turn. Sometimes, the road ahead may end. But just like driving, pay attention to the signs of your road. If God signals you to stop or turn a different direction, follow it, for you do not know the condition of the road ahead. You may think it is a bad thing to turn or not see a clear road up ahead, but trust in God to give you a clear understanding, so that the "fog" in your road may be lifted.

"Jesus said to him, 'You may not know what I am doing, but later you will understand.'"-John 13:7