The Key To A Better Life

The Key To A Better Life

Hygge might just be the thing you’ve been searching for.

48
The Key To A Better Life
bu.edu

Have you ever heard that the Danish are some of the happiest people you'll ever meet? Well, I have, and it made me curious as to why. So I did some research and I found the answer in hygge! Hygge pronounced hoo-gah, is the art of living a cozy life. Hygge is supposed to encourage you to surround yourself with the things that make you happiest. That sounds like a great concept and one that would make for a joyful life. It's about focusing on experiences instead of possessions and the things that make you feel good instead of material wealth, Wouldn’t it be nice if we could all live such a carefree and joyful life?

If you ask my friends what I love to do, they'll tell you there is nothing I enjoy more than being cozy in my apartment with friends all around, hanging out, listening to great music. Nothing makes me happier than being comfortable and that is the idea behind hygge. Basically the concept is, to laugh more, take a walk to connect with nature, enjoy some food. In other words, really enjoy each moment. In my case it is completely normal to wear sweatpants to class and jam to some music on my way there because that is what makes me happiest.

Hygge is all about living in the moment. That means enjoying yourself more than stressing yourself out. Take time to enjoy the small things that are around you everyday. Sometimes we forget to breathe and give ourselves a break from the busy lives we live. Hygge understands the importance of “me time.” In other words, time dedicated simply to you and what brings you joy. One key to this is that these people are more interested in relationships than wealth. Once their basic needs are met, the next most important thing is their connections with others. A popular myth is that money brings you happiness. With hygge, it is the exact opposite, not worrying about material goods can improves your life and bring your stress levels down.

Another thing about hygge is that it tells us to indulge in the foods that make them happy. 2017 is all about having the perfect body and fad diets that may or may not get you there. Hygge says it is important to treat yourself, whether it be with a yummy piece of chocolate or a coffee. That’s definitely something that I can get into.

We all know happiness is an idea that everyone strives to reach but some people don’t know if it truly exists. In my opinion, this lifestyle is definitely proof that there is something out there for everyone. For some people, Hygge is the key to happiness, and I can definitely understand why. I encourage everyone to take a day and try out the hygge ways, who knows, maybe you’ll find that the coziness of the lifestyle is just what you need to improve your day and perhaps it will be the key to your happier self!