Being An Official Adult Means Having JOMO, Not FOMO

JOMO—also known as the joy of missing out.

24

FOMO—also known as the 'fear of missing out'. Everyone can relate to this at some point in their life. However, I've started to realize that FOMO is really only common among my age or younger. With social media platforms such as Snapchat and Instagram, you can easily find yourself feeling left out if you decide to not go out with your friends, weren't invited or whatever the situation may be. And while going out is a good thing for your mental health, you do not have to say yes to everything that you're invited to.

As you grow older, you find yourself having more responsibilities. And while going to a party on a Sunday would have been fine before, you now find your Sunday's consisting of laundry, cleaning, and really getting your life together for the upcoming week. So while you can have FOMO at any age, I think that having JOMO can show that you are an official adult living in the "real-world". You have responsibilities and other things to worry about; you have no time to have fear of missing out.

While you may love to go out with your friends, it cannot always be possible because of your various activities and responsibilities. This is where JOMO comes into play. Be happy for your friends and be okay with not going to every social event. FOMO or JOMO is really just a state of mind and you have the power to change your perspective on the situation.

Instead of being upset and wishing you were there, be happy for your friends and hope that they're having a good time. Everyone has different schedules and their own lives, so sometimes plans don't always work out. Learn to have JOMO, it will save you a lot of heartbreak and pain when you feel left out. Everything is a state of mind, and learning to have JOMO proves that you're mature and an official adult.