The Importance Of Sexual Education.

The Importance Of Sexual Education.

It took me 21 years to finally learn about sex, and what goes on in the never ending changes of gender and sexuality.

16
The Importance Of Sexual Education.

The bar for sexual education in grade school is beneath the floor; health class in high school is a joke, and everyone has seem to have gotten their information from porn. What no one seems to realize, is that sexual education is about much more than the birds and the bees. It's the explanation of gender, sexuality, and how different the two are.

This semester I finally signed up for a class called "Human Sexuality", a sociology class that had an interesting course description. What I did not know is what I was getting myself in to, but I am glad I did.

We started by talking about our individuals in our society. Each individual is different, and their gender and sexuality can not be determined by their physical bodies. We even tried to list all of the different types of sexualities, and could not even think of them all. Although these sexualities may not be as represented as others, the spectrum is ever growing.

The reason I am writing about this is because it is so important to educate yourself on representation, and communities that you can support. As long as society stays ignorant to the importance of sexual education, the people fighting for change will never get it. If you don't understand it, then maybe its not the lifestyle for you. That does not mean others can't comfortably live a different lifestyle. The more we support inclusion of different lifestyles and identities, the more unity and safer environments we can create.

My advice is to find your own version of "Human Sexuality" and take it all in, learn about what is going on around you, then educate others. Be more politically aware, read up on the news, and VOTE. Now is the time for change, and your education can put it in motion.