The Importance of a Mother and Daughter Relationship

Things that help make a healthy mother and daughter relationship.

2536
Danielle Linton

Throughout the past 19 years, I have witnessed many challenges that a majority of women have gone through, like trying to maintain a healthy mother and daughter relationship. Although I do not know what it is like to be without a mother,I do know what it is like to almost lose one.

When I was in third or fourth grade, my mother became diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 32. I remember visiting her frequently in the hospital and attending some of her doctor appointments, as well. My biggest fear was that I was never going to see my mom again, especially since I was still young.

Around this time, most of my friends’ parents started getting divorces. While some of the mothers still stayed around for their children, especially their daughters, other mothers would leave and sometimes create new families. It was heartbreaking because the mothers, who often left, no longer cared for their other daughters. It happened once or twice to a few of my friends. They would tell me how they would see their mothers attempting to have a relationship with their other daughters and that their mothers would never even make an attempt to have a healthy relationship with them.

My friends always told me how lucky I was to have a mom that is always there for me no matter what. Although I do not always get along with my mom, she has always been there for me and has encouraged me that I can be successful one day.

A relationship with your mother is really important because they are the people who take care of you, cook you food, and make sure that you do not have anything less. A mother does not have to be biologically related to you in order to show you love or be your caregiver. In my opinion, the definition of a mother is someone who is there to help their daughters become who they want to be by showing them love, giving them their full support, and helping them progress further into womanhood.

The world is filled with many imperfect people. Just because a mother and daughter may share a similar DNA does not necessary mean that the biological mother is a loving, or caring parent. A majority of my friends have moms who happen to be heavy alcoholics and women who consume a lot of drugs. However, sometimes not all daughters even know their biological mothers due to them usually passing away unexpectedly.

I have witnessed many girls envy others because they wish that they had moms like them. No matter what, I will always be thankful that my mom is still alive. She is currently 42 and has been a survivor of breast cancer for 10 years. She just recently graduated nursing school after attending college for nine years. Although no mother or daughter is perfect, it is never too late for miracles, to give up, or have a healthy mother and daughter relationship if you are willing to work for it.