4 Ways To Stop Looking For Validation In Anyone But Yourself

What it really takes to be happy and successful.

64
Odyssey

We live in a society that promotes success, happiness, and even perfection. But sometimes it's hard to figure out how to achieve these things. What really is "happiness" and where can we find it? One of the biggest mistakes that can be made in life is seeking validation through the approval of others, and while sometimes seeking advice or help from other people is beneficial, living your life based on what others will think of you is not. We have one life, and one life only, so stop seeking approval from those around you, and learn how to truly be happy with yourself. How can you do this?

1. Have Goals

Set goals for yourself, and go after them. There's literally nothing that can motivate you more than having a set of things you want to achieve. Make a dream board, or just keep these ideas close in your mind and work every second to achieve them. And, don't let anyone take these goals from you! Of course there will be people in your life who will disapprove of your dreams and try to talk you out of them, but don't let that get you down. Persist. Persist. Persist.

2. Stop Apologizing For Who You Are

Stop apologizing for being who you are. You can not and will not ever make every single person in your life happy. What matters more is how happy you are with yourself. If you can wake up every morning and honestly say you love who you are, that is all you need. With happiness comes everything else.

3. Prioritize Positivity

Be positive. It really is hard sometimes to always stay positive, but make this a priority. Cut out negativity, because all it does is hold you back. And if there are people in your life that are holding you back with their negativity, it is one hundred percent okay to cut them out too. You have to look out for yourself and quit worrying about how your choices will affect the people around you. Again, it's your life and you are the only one who needs to approve of how you are living it.

4. Have Fun

Have fun. Don't be so serious all the time. We get so caught up in going to school and work because these are things that are going to lead us farther to reaching our goals. But it is okay to let loose every now and then and live in the moment. Work and school are not everything this life has to offer. Spend time with friends and family, make memories, and enjoy your life!

Life is hard, but without self-love and positivity it really isn't going to ever get better. Stop looking for validation in the hands of others, and start putting emphasis on what you want for yourself. At any point this life could be taken from us, so don't get caught up in the stress and negativity and live freely instead.