The Importance Of Black Greek-Letter Organizations

"Our founders amongst EVERY organization worked extremely hard to allow us to unite and flourish not only on college campuses, but as a people well beyond our college days" - Reynoir Lewis

20253
University of South Florida

Black Greek-letter organizations, sometimes to as BGLO's play a significant role in the lives of African Americans in higher education. Specifically, at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU's), Greek life has influenced campus life, social life, surrounding communities, networking, and friendships.

More often referred to as The Divine Nine, or D9, an abbreviation the first nine fraternities and sororities founded between 1906 and 1963, these organizations were the early foundations of establishing unity and scholarship through their communities. They are Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Incorporated, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Incorporated, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Incorporated, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Incorporated, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Incorporated, and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Incorporated. All nine make up the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) which was founded May 10, 1930, at Howard University.

Despite the idea that BGLO's were created to combat white Greek-letter fraternities and sororities, BGLO's were created to unite African American students with common core ideas and principles. During the early 1900s, when many of the D9 fraternities and sororities were established, African Americans were not allowed, or could not afford an education. The few African American students on college campuses bonded together to create the strong brotherhoods and sisterhoods that still stand today, 100+ years later.

BGLO's were created to uplift, educate, and serve, and eventually went on to deny the stereotypical 'frat boy' or 'sorority girl' stereotype. The media, however, has a different story to tell. While showing only harsh and unjust for acts of hazing, implementing the idea that they are mere social clubs for the vibrant strolls and steps, or simply labeling members 'barbaric', for shouting or chanting infamous sounds and calls to other members, completely erases their individual identity and all that they stand for. Steps, strolls, chants, and calls have historic ties dating black to slavery; a form of entertainment that was used to both provide comfort and keep African Americans uplifted and connected.

"Their identity is largely born out of racial isolation and discrimination on predominantly White college campuses and in society, in general. As such, their goals have always been the development of personal excellence (usually high scholasticism), development of fictive kinship ties (brotherhood and sisterhood), and racial (and gender for the sororities) uplift through civic action, community service, and philanthropy." says author Gregory S. Parks in an interview about his book Black Greek-Letter Organizations in the Twenty-First Century: Our Fight Has Just Begun.

The first Black Greek-letter fraternity, Alpha Phi Alpha, was founded in 1906, at Cornell University in New York, a predominately white institute (PWI). According to Alpha Phi Alpha's official website, the fraternity initially served as a study and support group for minority students who faced racial prejudice, both educationally and socially, at Cornell.

The first Black Greek-letter sorority Alpha Kappa Alpha was founded in 1908 at Howard University in Washington D.C., an HBCU. During this time, founder Ethel Hedgeman Lyle thought it was necessary to connect the most prominent and educated women at the university.

Each fraternity and sorority has their own deep, rich history which can attest to and add to the history of BGLO's overall. Black Greek-letter organizations as a whole have taken one giant step in accomplishing unity throughout the Black community.

Even the most famous and historic names have ties to these fraternities and sororities. Martin Luther King Jr. was a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. Phylicia Rashad is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., Tavis Smiley is a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc., Steve Harvey is a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc., Shirley Chisholm was a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., George Washington Carver was a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., Gwendolyn Brooks was a member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., Hattie McDaniels was a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc., and Terrance C. Carson is a member of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc.

Black Greek-letter organizations have played such an important role in history, and are continuing to flourish in the twenty-first century, despite some of the negative attention they receive. Each organization alone has reached hundreds of thousands of members in several hundred chapters at colleges and universities both in the United States and abroad. The work, however, does not end in college. Alumni chapters established all over the world serve a purpose of networking and service, for each fraternity and sorority.

Remember: do your research, and be discrete!