The House of Music

The House of Music

Long Live The Bughouse. 4234 Til We Die

10
The House of Music

This is a story about personal growth through new music, new friends, and new experiences. If there was something that would have a lasting impact on your life, some might call it life changing would you even know it was right in front of you? For me this was a wonderful home named the Bughouse. I've always had a very strong connection to music since I was little over the years it's only grown; listening to music is my hobby, but seeing live music is more of a hobby than anything. The Bughouse was a perfect way for me to express my love of music by seeing local artists and touring bands for under $5 dollars. Walking in for the first time I didn't think it would change the way I preserve people, music, and life as a whole; however the world and life are a funny thing like that. I went to enjoy some live music from new artists and one of my favorite Jacksonville, FL bands Teen Divorce. The first time I went I didn't do or say much to anyone I just stood next to the kitchen counter enjoying the atmosphere around me. I told the owner of the home (drummer for Teen Divorce David) that this was a cool experience and I'll be coming back thank you for hosting this. I assumed I would only go to a handful of shows, but that ended up being 31 shows I've seen from sitting on the kitchen counter, being front row by the window, front row near the sound equipment, in the middle of the crowd, in the hallway between the bedroom and the bathroom, and lastly outside on the back porch. Around the 5th time I went people started to recognize me as a regular at the house shows I've already been going to shows at venues for a little over a year, so I knew some of the people, but not as many later down the road. The environment that the Bughouse has is unlike any other the vibe is nothing short of loving, supportive, and friendly people. The home was one of the safest environments I have ever been in for a show very calming even with our blasting wall to wall rock music. Every time I would go I had a different experience each time, but will the same shuffling of dirt filled shoes on the hard wood floors, smoke in the air inside/outside the home, and cozy Febreze smell. I felt like I was always where I belonged being at the Bughouse I use to feel like an outsider, but once I started to make conversations with people I no longer had that feeling; I felt like I was accepted as the supportive friend who's always down for a show no longer the girl who comes to shows. I became friends with some of my favorite bands and artists (Glazed, Runner's High, Teen Divorce, Intervention, Bobby Kid, EJ Hervey, Dore, Primary School, Sleepless, and GILT) from there I became friends with their friends it's wild to think I'm friends with over 50+ people in our little local scene just from one year of going to shows. The people who play and attended the shows are some of the kindest people I've ever met very open, very understanding, and they hold a special place in my heart.