The Top 10 Foods You Have To Try At The Hound On Auburn's Campus
Campuses

The Top 10 Foods You Have To Try At The Hound

What can I say other than bourbon and bacon.

93

The Hound is a family-owned restaurant and bar in a prime location on Auburn's campus featuring various over-the-top American classics, top-shelf bourbon and 28 craft beers on tap. Our atmosphere was designed to be warm and welcoming- think like a hunting lodge, antler-pronged rustic barn setting with the hustle and bustle of old-time Alabama.

Owners Matthew Poirier and Jana (Caruthers) Poirier moved back to Auburn, AL with the dream of opening a local watering hole featuring simple, delicious food with a focus on bacon, bourbon, community, and family. Everything you see, from the entry doors, to the barnwood, bar, tables, and chandeliers were all Alabama reclaimed, milled, designed, and handcrafted by the Caruthers-Poirier clan.

1. The Bacon

The Hound house bacon is a cured in house bacon unlike any other bacon I've ever had. However, the bacon flight, a plate containing four varieties of bacon, changes every day to give you the chance to try every bacon offered. These bacons range from Pecan smoked, Black and Blue to Jamaican Jerk and even Duck. Yes, you heard that right The Hound offers duck bacon and is my favorite that they offer.

2. The Bourbon

The Hound has one of the greatest selections of bourbon I have seen even following some larger bourbon bars around the US on Instagram. So where do I even start to begin to talk about the whiskey at The Hound? There's just too many to name. The selection starts at the lower end with your typical Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, and Makers Mark. As you get up to the move up into the middle of the road some of the top names are Colonel E H Taylor, Woodford Reserve, Old Weller, Blanton's, Elmer T Lee, and Old Rip Van Winkle. With the higher end being drams such as Jack Daniels Frank Sinatra Select, Jack Daniels Sinatra Century, and all the Pappy Van Winkles. Along with the single drams multiple names are offered in bourbon flights such as Bulleit, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Jefferson's, Colonel E H Taylor and many more where you can try three unique whiskeys from a distiller.

3. The Weekend Brunch

I know it's not just one single item, but the brunch menu has it all and paired with a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa and you've started your day off right. The menu ranges from pancakes and French toast to sausage gravy and biscuits to breakfast bowls and omelets to the normal lunch menu.

4. Mamma Sue's Pepper Jelly

I'm a huge fan of pepper jelly and have been since I was a kid. Over the years I've tried plenty of pepper jellies but within my top three if not my top pepper jelly would be Mamma Sue's. It's an in house made jelly made every Monday by Momma Sue and is offered as an appetizer with cream cheese and Ritz crackers or you can take home a jar if you love it as much as me. By itself, it's a great tasting jelly and not too over the top with the peppers just enough to give that sweet heat especially when paired with the cream cheese and crackers.

5. The Hot Chick

The Hot Chick is a chicken sandwich that can be served grilled, blackened or fried. My preferred is fried but I often get it grilled too. It's then topped with house-cured bacon(yes The Hound really does love giving you bacon), pepper jack cheese, chipotle aioli, house-made ranch, and the typical lettuce, tomato, and onions on a Kaiser Roll. When I say the best spicy chicken sandwich I've ever had it is. It even blows Chick-fil-A out of the competition.

6. BTA

This sandwich requires a specific taste and if you have that taste then this sandwich will put you in heaven. The BTA stands for Bacon(again another good helping of house-cured bacon), Smoked Turkey, and Avacado. The BTA also includes apple, Brie Cheese, Honey Dijon, and is served on sourdough. It's the perfect mix of Smokey and sweet.

7. Shrimp and Grits

A good southern staple that The Hound has perfected. A pile of blackened shrimp over andouille cream sauce and heirloom grits is enough to make any true southerner hungry and happy. As far as any of the bowls and plates this would be my favorite item on the menu and should be yours too.

8. Berkshire Pork Chop

Where do I even start with this behemoth that only rivals the Big Fat Ribeye on size of meat on a plate. As one of the highest recommended plates on the menu the Berkshire Pork Chop is a tomahawk cut rib in giant slab of meat served with apple parsnip purée and a brussel sprout slaw. The Pork Chop is so tender and juicy and has such an incredible flavor and is an amazing cut of meat. Anything to do with the Brussel sprouts at The Hound is also to die for. I have always been on the fence about if I like Brussel spouts or not but The Hounds are incredible.

9. Big Fat Ribeye

This Ribeye is one of the biggest I've seen and takes up the entire plate. Weighing in at a full pound It is served with a veal stock reduction but is so juicy itself that when mixed with all the juices on the plate makes for a pop of flavor in your mouth. Paired with the heirloom grits and bacon braised collards brings the full, full experience of a great steak and southern sides. But be careful this dish definitely leaves the possibility to have leftovers the next day. This is also a great fish to pair with one of the great bourbons or beers on tap.

10. Dessert

The Bread Pudding is the main dessert available every day. It is a bread cake served with a couple hefty scoops of ice cream, house-made bourbon caramel sauce, and topped with a frozen chocolate caramel covered cracker. Many bread puddings I've had in the past that have had bourbon in the sauce go too heavy in the bourbon and leave me questioning if my dessert is going to allow me to drive home. For this one, however, the bourbon gives a great added flavor to the sauce but is still family friendly and delicious. On some nights you can get Mamma Sue's homemade buttermilk pie served with a scoop of ice cream and bourbon caramel sauce with crushed pecans. For anyone questioning what buttermilk pie is, the best explanation is it is close to a custard pie.

In closing, The Hound is a great restaurant with great food and great drinks. There's a lot more great food but restricting a menu like The Hound's down to 10 items is an injustice. Hopefully for students or Auburn residents when questioning where to eat next you will consider trying this amazing hidden gem. For anyone else planning a trip to Auburn for a trip or to see any of the many athletic events on Auburn's campus The Hound is very welcoming. #baconandbourbon