The Holidays: The Most Difficult Time Of The Year

Spend every year reminding yourself of all the memories that you did have, and remember to be thankful for who you have now.

86
Kara Hickey

Three years ago, I spent my first Thanksgiving away from my brother. My parents had decided to move him to a permanent home, where he would have 24-hour care. That first Thanksgiving was a difficult one.

A tradition my family has is to go around the room and say what we were all thankful for. Usually, everyone would say things like "their family" or "being healthy." I found it hard that day to come up with something that I was really grateful for. I sat there and thought to myself, "well I'm not very thankful that my brother can't be here with us right now." But I knew saying that would kill the mood, so I went along with everyone else's thoughts and said I was thankful for my family. This does not mean that I wasn't, and am still not thankful for my family, but in that moment I thought that life wasn't fair. I kept thinking to myself, why did everyone get to have their entire family there, with no problem?

I did see my brother that day, though. My mom, cousin, and I all went after we ate dinner and spent some time with him. It was a good feeling, able to spend the holiday with him for a bit, but it didn't take away the pain knowing I would be going home, and he wasn't coming with me. That would be the last year I would be spending the holidays with my brother. Since then, the holiday season has been a bit difficult. It is full of so much excitement and cheer, but there's a giant hole in my heart knowing that I won't be spending the holidays with him anymore.

I spend the holiday season thinking about all of the times I did get with my brother, and all the wonderful memories I will never forget. Yet, it is still difficult, and always will be. But for now, I am thankful for the family I do have, and the memories that I will cherish forever. Remember to tell those who you love that you are thankful for them because you never know when you might lose them.