To The High School Senior Making Big Decisions

Here is some much needed advice--advice that some people just don't get to hear until it's too late.

131
Bustle

To all of the high school seniors making big decisions:

It's the moment that you've been waiting for: the moment to decide what you are going to do with your future. But--WHOA! That's a huge decision! I know. I went through the same thing a year ago. Here is some much needed advice--advice that some people just don't get to hear until it's too late.

DON'T RUSH ANYTHING! This is the biggest mistake that you can make. While this decision can be exciting and nerve-wracking and you might just want to get it over with... Don't rush it! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Making this decision is going to be difficult for some of you, but take your time. Don't just take any offer that comes your way! Explore your options and see what is going to be the best fit for you.

DON'T GO SOMEWHERE JUST TO MAKE OTHER PEOPLE HAPPY! Growing up, many of us are raised in an "*insert college here* household". It is ingrained in our minds from a young age that going to a certain college is the only thing that we can do with our lives. But, I'm here to tell you-- if you don't want to go there... DON'T! This is your decision. While there are some other factors involved, you need to pick what is going to make you happy. This is where you will be for the next two to four years of your life (or more!).

DO LET YOUR FAMILY BE INVOLVED! I know, I know. I have been saying that it is only your decision, which it is! But, you also have to take into account that your family is going to miss you, whether you know it or not. Let them be a part of your decision. Don't let them pick it for you--it is your life-- but don't push them away. You have no idea how much you are going to miss them if you leave!

DO BE EXCITED! Seriously. You've earned it! You went through 12 grueling years of education--piles of homework, pop quizzes on days that you just weren't ready, tests that you spent 36 hours and 50 dollars in coffee on, group projects that you spent hours on (most probably at the last minute)-- to get to this point, so give yourself a pat on the back. Don't let it stress you out too much. Decisions made in haste may not pan out--take your time and enjoy it!

DO KEEP AN OPEN MIND! A lot of you are probably going into this thinking, "Oh yeah. I know what I want to do. I know my major and this is the plan." I am here to tell you... that is exactly what I said a year ago. A year later, I have no clue what I want to do. Go into this knowing your options. If you are absolutely, positively set on a major--good on you. But, just remember... you are probably going to change your mind. You are probably going to take a class in the fall that has nothing to do with what you thought that you wanted to do, and it is going to completely change your mind--and that is OKAY! Not everything is going to go exactly as planned and that is what makes life so exciting!

DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Not just on the schools that you are deciding between, but seriously. Do. Your. Homework. You have no idea how many people give up in the last marking period or semester of school. It doesn't help you in the long run! In a year, you are going to want to have done your best and finished high school to the best of your ability. No one wants to hear, "Oh yeah. I just coasted on by in my last semester." It's much more "cool" to finish strong. That would be like making the Olympic team for a sport and then not trying to win once you got to the final competition!

I'm done preaching now. Good luck to all of you... no matter what route you decide to go in! Do it for you, not for anyone else. But, most of all, HAVE FUN WITH THIS!This is a fun and exciting time in your life! If I could have gone back and done it differently, I would have. I would have had so much more fun with this decision. I let it stress me out and I wish that I hadn't--that is why I am telling you now. Don't let it be like that!

Congratulations on the end of your high school journey and the beginning of your next one!

~E.K. VHS C/O 2016