An Open Letter To Incoming High School Seniors

The year you have been waiting for all of high school is finally at your fingertips.

1888
Caylie James

Dear Seniors,

It is finally here: senior year. The year you have been waiting for all of high school is finally at your fingertips. Just weeks away from your first day - and although your countdown reads hundreds of days until "freedom" believe me when I say - senior year is a rush.

When I was in your exact shoes, just a year ago, I was so eager to get the final year over with. No more lockers, 6 am mornings and finally the last year of that awful cafeteria food.I spent most of my summer looking up dorm decor because I was ready to wish away all of the year you are about to endure - but please, listen to me when I say, do notwish away your last year of high school. I never believed the upperclassmen when they told me that senior year flies by but there were telling the truth. Senior year is what you make it and trust me when I say:

Live in the moment. Don't spend all of your time stressing about colleges, scholarships and graduation. It is easy to daydream about your future roommate and how you will be bffs and completely take over campus - but remember that your time with friends now is coming to an end. Enjoy the little moments. Don't skip out on plans with friends and take the year as a time to bond with classmates you haven't been overly close with. You will regret not doing so at the end.

Apply in August. Set a rule for yourself: If the application is FREE apply. Even if you know the school isn't one you are even slightly interested in at the time -- APPLY. You never know where senior year will take you and you will regret it down the road. Plus, acceptance letters make you feel good.

Be Active. Soon all of the opportunities that are literally at your fingertips now vanish. Make sure you at least try all of the organizations and clubs that your school has to offer. Try out for a sport, push yourself to set goals that you never had the previous three years and attempt to leave a legacy that underclassman can strive for.

Spend time with your friends. Soon you all with split into different directions, majors and life goals. Spend the time that you have together now.

Take LOTS of pictures. You did it. You're here. Seniors nights, prom, homecoming and even the old school "first day" picture. Document it all.

Take note that its your "Lasts". "Last first practice" "Last home game" "Last bus ride" "Last homecoming rally"

Spend time with your family. Soon you won't be coming home to them every night. You won't be "gone for good" but your normal won't be some familiar anymore. Make sure to spend lots of time with your grandparents, parents and siblings now that you can - before lots of travel and waits for breaks happen.

Pick a major then a college. Some schools won't necessarily have the major that you are wanting. What seems worse to you - not attending your "dream school" but one close to it for 4 years and majoring for your "dream job" or changing your future plans to fit the school thats cool... Silly right?

Don't be "that senior". Who ever decided that picking on the freshman was the cool thing to do - was dumb. They look up to you... be nice. Show them the ropes and help them adjust - they just made a big change show them that you notice that and there to help.

College visits, college visits, college visits. You might find the right fit from the start - but don't settle. Look at them ALL before you make your final decision.

You don't have to do what everyone else is doing. Just because the majority of your classmates are going one direction doesn't mean that it is right for you. College and career paths are a huge deal - decide for yourself.

Make senior prom the best prom. Find the perfect dress, date and even make up. Senior prom is the best.

Its okay to be sad. Tears are normal senior year. Let them happen.

Let your mom cry too. you're her baby.

Always be on the lookout for scholarships. Money, money, money. You want the money!

Second semester is still important. Yes, college applications are in - but that doesn't mean that high school is over. Second semester isn't kicked back, skipping days are total relaxation like it can be made out to be. Keep up with school, try hard and finish strong.

(most importantly) Have fun. These are the memories that will last you a lifetime. Have fun, be smart and enjoy every moment.

With love,

A 2016 grad