The Hauntings Of CSU

Did you know the Colorado State University campus is haunted? By multiple ghosts? The last several weeks I’ve been doing research for a ghost program that I put on as a Student Ambassador for INTO CSU, and what I found was more than enough to fill our evening with stories and to keep me from sleeping well for a night or two. Here are the haunting's of CSU (originally told by RamTRAX, but supplemented by myself):

The Student Services Building

The Student Services building, located off the Oval, was built in 1948 as the original Braiden Hall, which served as a men’s dormitory. Eugene Groves, who designed many of the buildings on campus including the admissions building Ammons Hall, also began designing the current Student Services building. However, when construction began on the building they noticed that the plans made no sense.

Some hallways didn’t connect across the whole floor, there were partial floors, and staircases that lead to nowhere. When they finally investigated the reasons behind these unusual designs Groves was committed to an insane asylum! The reason for the maze like building was that Groves was planning on murdering his wife and burying her in the basement! To this day staff in the building hear footsteps, voices and have seen a figure of a man standing at the top of the staircase. Doors seem to mysteriously open and close by themselves and students have even taken videos of orbs of light floating throughout the building.

Johnson Hall

Johnson Hall, which is conveniently located right next to the Student Services building off the Oval, was built in 1936 as the original Student Center, which has now been replaced by the newly renovated Lory Student Center. According to campus rumors there are two ghosts that haunt the building. One of the ghosts is a dancer who has reportedly been seen dancing in the old ballroom in the basement of the hall, while music of the 1940s is heard. Some staff members have reported that the second ghost is not too friendly as they have had the air knocked out of them as they were working on the third floor of the building! Next time you have a class in Johnson, maybe avoid the third floor after dark.

Ammons Hall

Ammons Hall, which currently houses admissions, was built in 1922 and designed by Eugene Groves. The building originally housed the women’s recreational center, featuring a pool in the basement of the building which has since been filled in. According to campus legend the building is haunted by multiple ghosts, but the most active is the ghost of a woman who drowned in the basement pool.

It is said that this ghost leaves wet footprints throughout the building, splashes water from fountains that are not even turned on and turns off the lights on the staff occasionally. The building has experienced so much supernatural activity that the Ghost Hunters of Colorado spent a night there investigating these claims. They were not disappointed with what they found; caught on video they found shadowy figures, orbs of light, and singing voices that answered their questions. To this day staff refuse to work in the building alone after dark.

There are several more hauntings across campus, but these are the ones that sent the most chills down my spine and those of the staff that have actually experienced these ghostly beings. Have fun and be safe this Halloween!