The Greatest Lessons I've Learned

The Greatest Lessons I've Learned

I'd like to thank Mom, Dad, and T.Swizzle.

52
The Greatest Lessons I've Learned
http://yale1959.org/

Whenever I get asked what the greatest life lesson I’ve learned is, I’m always stuck choosing. Although I clearly haven’t lived my full life yet, I’ve learned lessons that will last forever. These lessons were taught to me by parents, family, teachers, cheesy teenage songs, and real-life experiences. To whoever is reading this, I hope they’ll benefit you just as much as they’ve benefitted me.

Eat what you want.

This is a silly one, but we’ve all been in that moment where we contemplate eating something (usually unhealthy). "You won't have that fast metabolism forever!" Thanks, Mom. Eat what you want and enjoy the hell out of it. That one piece of pizza won’t kill you! (A second, third, maybe fourth piece is OK, too).

Everything happens for a reason.

Cliché, but true. Some of the biggest events in my life happened for a reason. I’ve learned to go with the flow and let things fall into place when they happen. God has plans for you.

Separate your laundry.

Seriously, guys. Don't turn your laundry into one big bowl of soup. Thanks to my Stepmom, I learned separating your clothes between whites and colors will save your life. (Do it.)

Blood is thicker than water.

My dad still tells me this. At the end of the day, your family members are the only ones who will be there for you. They’ll support you endlessly and love you unconditionally no matter what. As you get older, you realize how much you love, care and need them. There’s nothing like a strong family bond.

Time can heal almost anything.

You would never expect a cheesy Taylor Swift lyric from that song you listened to repeatedly in middle school to stick with you forever. From heartbreaks to tragic experiences, I’ve learned that giving yourself time will ultimately be the key to healing. Giving things time allows you to relax, breathe and think about what went wrong. Once you’ve taken the time to accept it, you can finally move on.

Two real friends are better than 20 fake ones.

My mother always told me that it was OK if I could count the amount of friends I had on one hand. I used to stress over this, but growing older shows you that finding millions of real friends is impossible. It's inevitable to find more than a few loyal friends. Be grateful for the three best friends you have had for years, because those are the ones who will stick with you.

Don't worry about anyone else but yourself.

The old “if they jumped off a bridge, would you?” line will haunt us forever. I have learned not to obsess over what other people are doing. All that will do is stress you out, make you jealous, and delay your own success. Worry about yourself. It's OK to be selfish from time to time.

You will definitely learn from your mistakes.

When I was younger, I stuck pennies in electrical sockets. I never understood why my parents would scream at me until one day I electrocuted the hell out of myself. We have all had a moment like this (but maybe not with pennies in sockets). Learning from your own mistakes is the #1 lesson I’ve learned that has helped shape me into the person I am today. Making mistakes are just lessons for growth. Once you make them, you’ll never make that mistake again. Life doesn't come with a delete button.

Treat yo'self, girl.

Make time for yourself! Buy yourself those new shoes you wanted, or even take yourself out on a date. Treating yourself and having "me time" is something we all need once in a while. Take care of your body and your mind. You'll be surprised how great you feel!