15 Of The Greatest Disney Channel Movies of All Time

We're breaking free and breaking down the best of what Disney Channel has to offer.

95
Theiapolis Cinema

As a kid, you knew Disney Channel was about to have you hooked for about the next two hours when you heard "Let's watch a Disney Channel movie" and saw a boy jump in to a split. Disney Channel movies were arguably the best thing the channel had to offer. A lot of them were original and stuff we kids had never seen or even thought of before. In celebration of their 100th original movie, Disney Channel is broadcasting ALL of their movies. They are doing a four day marathon of their 51 most popular movies starting on May 27th and then showing the rest throughout the month of June. In honor of this glorious event, I decided to do a list of the best Disney Channel Original Movies.

15. "Full Court Miracle" (2003)

Many people may not recognize this gem of a movie. However, this is definitely a classic. A movie about a team of young Jewish basketball players and their former college basketball star coach doesn't necessarily scream classic. But I'm a sucker for a good team movie with heart.

14. "Lemonade Mouth" (2011)

This is the most recent movie on this list and for a good reason. Disney Channel movies lack that certain X-factor that used to make them great. However, they got it right with Lemonade Mouth. Lemonade Mouth wasn't cheesy and it just came off as a genuine movie.

13. "Up, Up and Away" (2000)

As a young black boy, this was my first time really seeing black superheroes. And it wasn't just one, it was a whole family! I will admit, their one weakness being aluminum foil was pretty lame, but I could overlook that for this black superhero family.

12. "Eddie's Million Dollar Cook-Off" (2003)

The only reason this movie is this low on the list is because there is another movie higher on the list with basically the same premise: a boy faced with the issue of doing what his family and friends want or what he really wants.

11. "Smart House" (1999)

A technologically advanced house with the personality of a mother? If that's not an interesting premise I don't know what is.

10. "The Proud Family Movie" (2005)

If you loved "The Proud Family" show (which, let's face it, everyone did), then you without a doubt loved the "The Proud Family" movie. Some were skeptical and said that the show was not strong enough to carry a movie, but they proved those naysayers wrong.

9. "Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior" (2006)

The Disney Channel has done really well when they produce movies about other cultures. The writers are able to come up with interesting things to say about the culture as well as make it appeal to everyone watching the program, no matter what culture they are a part of. Wendy Wu does just that.

8. "Halloweentown" (1998)

Every October, you could bank on seeing Marnie and her supernatural crew. Halloweentown is the quintesential Halloween movie for kids with it's perfect mix of scary and funny.

7. "Johnny Tsunami" (1999)

A chill (pun intended) movie, Johnny Tsunami proved that everyone has the ability to adapt to anything as long as you work hard.

6. "The Even Stevens Movie" (2003)

"The Even Stevens" was one of the funniest Disney Channel shows ever. The movie however, may have been even funnier. Every single main character was funny and the premise of them secretly being on a reality show only added to the hilarity.

5. "Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century" (1999)

Zenon was a strong female character, especially at a time where there were not too many girls being cast as leads. She was smart, cool, and managed to save the space station from utter destruction.

4. "The Luck of the Irish" (2001)

The Luck of the Irish helped teach kids to accept and be proud of their unique and rich cultures. Even though it was about an Irish-American boy, his two best friends were people of color and they offered him a different perspective that really helped this movie be one of the more genuine feeling original movies.

3. "The Cheetah Girls 2" (2006)

The only sequel on my list, "The Cheetah Girls 2" built perfectly off of the hype of the first movie. What sets the sequel apart from the original is the acting. They all stepped their acting skills way up and it definitely made a difference. Combined with better filming and a more coherent plot, "The Cheetah Girls 2" is certainly cheetalicious.

2. "Kim Possible: So the Drama" (2005)

Oh, the drama was real in this Disney Channel movie. Kim not only had to deal with saving the world from Dr. Drakken, as usual, but she also has to decide who to take with her to junior prom. In the end, she saves the day as only Kim Possible can and Ron Stoppable becomes immortalized for successfully escaping the friend zone.

1. High School Musical (2006)

What part of this country was not affected by High School Musical mania? When it first came out, HSM was the most successful movie Disney Channel had ever produced, launching a global phenomenon with merchandise, record deals for almost every main cast member, and even a nationwide tour. And there are a few movies higher than it on the list of highest rated Disney Channel original movies, but the highest is it's sequel, "High School Musical 2," with 17.2 million viewers on premiere night. This shows the dominance and superiority of "High School Musical."

This list was really tough to do, because there are just so many good ones to pick from. If you think of a movie that isn't on this list that you think should be, drop it in the comments below!