Poetry On Odyssey: Consider The Universe

The reflection of life during the modern age

111
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/12/18/636491600271875432-1269188543_the-chance-to-be-unlimited.jpg

Consider the universe.

How it slowly expands every day. How our own Milky Way Galaxy is 100,000 light years across in its distance and unlike popular belief, we are not in the center of the universe. We’re not even in the center of our Solar System, let alone our Galaxy. We blindly and automatically revolve around our Sun, the light of our life.

Our Earth is 92.96 million miles away from our Sun, two planets away. Seventy-one percent of our Earth’s surface is made up of water, we are sixty-five percent made up of water. We also have carbon and hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen to help sustain our lives where the only two things we are sure of for everyone is we live, and we die. We might not want to think about it, but we will die. We all do, eventually.

When we do live, we as humans do not live simple lives. We might have a simple job, simple family, simple friends, but the molecule holding our genetic information and biological instruction, our deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA), makes up our genes, makes us unique. The genetic code holds all of our information, to make us who we are, how we are.

Hundreds of dominant and recessive genes in combination to create our hair color, our eye color, the structure of our face, our body and height. The ability to create coherent thoughts and produce them verbally, to interact with society and internally. It’s what ensures us that we grow, develop, reproduce and survive.

But is it enough?

According to a theoretical physicist, cosmologist, and author Stephen Hawking, it’s not enough to maintain life on planet Earth with the growth of technology and artificial intelligence. For humans, the possibility of life is reasonable, the evolution of our present state of mind is reasonable. But can we achieve it? Can we achieve intelligence? No, civilization destroys all possibilities. So the solution must be to genetically modify ourselves to be powerful, withstanding, indestructible over the artificial intelligence.

To alter our genetic code, scientists would take our DNA and from it a small circular piece called plasmid and then another small piece would be cut out of that. Once complete, human insulin is inserted into the gap in the plasmid. It is now genetically modified. This new genetically modified cell divides and produces more until nothing but the perfect genome for an organism.

What would it be like, to pick and choose your DNA, your genes to become the perfect human being? Instead of letting whatever you want to call it: fate, destiny, God, determine your life, you do it for yourself. Would you change your appearance to what you believe is more desirable?

Would you command your body to work properly instead of having disorders once out of your control? Would you program your mind to be unstoppable, your knowledge unimaginable? Would you rid every malicious trait you once had to become the model citizen? But whose standards are these off of? We only meant to modify ourselves to protect from the slowly growing and ever destructive artificial intelligence we created. But we lose focus of our goal and struggle to build up our defenses for the enemy we help build.

But all I know is, we’re born, we live and we die.

Sometimes humans forget our two basic functions: we live and we die.”