To The Girl Trying Her Best To Get In Shape

The hardest part of going to the gym is the actual GOING to the gym.

109
Unsplash

For me, being in shape and eating healthy has not always been a top priority. I have gone in and out of phases where I have cared very much and then cared very little. Over the past several months, fitness has become really important to me mostly because it helps me feel better about myself in so many different ways.

Nine times out of ten, I feel better after going to the gym whether I have to force myself to go or I go willingly. I am always looking to make progress. Pinterest is my best friend when I want to exercise a certain muscle or burn fat in a certain area but I don't know where to begin. The more I go to the gym, the easier it is to develop a routine. I think going to the gym 3 times a week is a great start.

The hardest part of going to the gym is the actual GOING to the gym. Once you're there what is the point of backing out? You want to make your time worth it. I always start off with 15-30 minutes of cardio whether it is running, the elliptical, walking the track, step climber, etc. While I'm doing cardio, I decide what kind of strength training I want to focus on that day. I usually alternate between legs and upper body.

Don't be afraid to try new machines! You won't regret it. The more things you try, the more variety you are getting in your workout. People can always explain to you how to work something properly. Some of my favorite machines are the leg press and lat pulldown. The lat pulldown is great for building muscle in your arms and back. These are both simple to use and a great start to working out both your legs and upper body.

You don't always have to focus on working out. Eating healthy is also an important part of getting in shape. I use the Fitbit app to track what I eat throughout the day. The app tells me what percentage of carbs, fats, and proteins I consume each day. There are other apps that you can use to track your diet like MyFitnessPal. I replace those unhealthy snacks with yogurt and fruit. Allow yourself one or two cheat days a week. You don't have to completely cut out all of your cravings. Another important habit is eating dinner earlier and avoiding late night snacks. I try to eat dinner between 5-7 p.m.

With these tips, you can have an easier time getting into shape and finally see the results you have been working hard for!