I'm The Girl That Cares 'Too Much,' Get Over It

Just because you don't care about things, doesn't mean that I'm wrong because I do.

178

I'm not sorry for caring too much.

I get upset about a lot of things. I feel very strongly about a lot of things. I can't help it, because I've tried to deal with it differently. I'm not an extremist, but if I see something that is wrong, I try to do something about it.

Some people don't like it.

I've tried to act "heartless."

I'm not sure why so many young people my age think being cold is the move. When I tried not to care about the things that upset me, I just realized even more how unhappy it made me. If people think that I have a problem because I care about things so deeply, they're wrong. They're the ones with the problem for having a closed off heart. Pretending not to have feelings and pretending not to be upset about things that were wrongly done got me no where. Acting cold hearted or heartless doesn't help you. It hurts you. Having feelings and experiencing emotion is not a crime, it's a gift we were given. To care about people is the most important thing we can do.

We are humans, and the way we survive is feeling emotions.

And as humans, we are naturally born with the idea of what's right and wrong. I really think that along the way some of us lose the ability to care (or maybe are just too lazy to) about things that we see. Fortunately, I am not one of those people. I'm the girl that cries when my brother and sister are heart broken.

I'm the girl who makes sure the new girl at work always feels comfortable enough to keep coming back every day to make her money. I'm that girl that will get out of my car and call an ambulance when I see someone slip on ice and not get up (yes, this has happened. So terrifying.) I'm the girl that follows the stray dog to make sure he doesn't get hit, the girl who brings animals water on a hot day.

When I see a dog chained up outside every day I get upset.

When I see someone treating another person like complete shit I get upset. When I see an injustice I make a choice; to either be surrounded by it and let it happen, or to walk away and make a difference.

If you saw someone being bullied or if you saw a stray dog in the middle of the street, lost, how would you feel? Would you think "none of that is my business"? Or would you want to help?

It would haunt me not to.

Sue me for caring about the things that you do not.

I can't pretend that seeing things that are wrong mean nothing because they mean everything. And I'm not ashamed of it anymore.

Stop saying I care too much about stupid things. Because the things you may think are stupid, may not be stupid to me.This is my life to live, not yours. I'd rather care too much than not care at all.

"To be soft is to be powerful." - Rupi Kaur