The Future Of Finance: How Millennials Are Changing The Landscape
News

Every generation has had its impact on the financial industry. The Baby Boomers changed everything by moving from a manufacturing-based economy to one that was service and information-based. They came of age during the Great Depression but managed to rise above it and enjoy an unprecedented period of economic growth in modern history. Generation X saw even more changes in finance, with computers coming into widespread use and changing how we do business every day. And now we have Generation Y--the Millennials--who are poised to make their mark on the financial landscape as well!

1291

1) Millennials Are A Generation Of Save-spenders.

They are relatively conservative spenders, and they do not tend to borrow a lot of money for consumer purchases.

This is due in part to the fact that millennials have delayed household formation compared with previous generations until later stages of their lives, but it's also because many grew up during the Great Recession when banks were failing left and right and there was little faith in financial institutions or capitalism as a whole.

The economics blogosphere has been buzzing recently about how young people today may well be "Generation Rent," since they delay buying homes at least partly out of fear over future job prospects (not staying put, moving often costs big bucks). That same risk-aversion mentality seems to translate into other areas like borrowing on credit cards.

The shift away from borrowing is part of what's fueling the growth in peer-to-peer lending (e.g., Prosper and Lending Club) and other alternative financial products that are meant to appeal to more conservative spenders.

They're also thriftier savers.

The average millennial save about 22% of their income, according to a survey done by Bankrate.com.

That's more than twice the percentage of baby boomers who save that same portion, according to a survey by MassMutual.

As far as actual dollar amounts, the average millennial saves around $200 a month, or about $23,000 over their lifetime.

These figures are even more impressive when you consider the fact that millennials earn less than past generations at this age.

And finally, millennials are not as financially independent as past generations of young adults.

Though millennials are often criticized for being lazy or narcissistic, they actually face more challenges than ever before when it comes to leaving the nest.

2) They Expect Transparency

The way millennials approach their finances is different from than generations before them. They want to know what they are paying and how it affects their money. They want to know why they are paying certain fees and where their money is going.

They expect transparency because of the technological advancements that have led them into a world with endless information at their fingertips, which makes it easier for them to access things like personal finance software or other resources that show how many different financial decisions are impacting them in real-time.

They expect transparency because of the strong sense of community and support that they have grown up with through social media. Millennials want to know what is going on in their finance world, just as much as they want to share all parts of their life on Instagram or Facebook. Since millennials are so used to sharing everything online, it makes them more likely than other generations to seek out financial information online too.

Millennials also grow up knowing how important diversity is since many were raised by parents who fought for equality and civil rights during the 1960s and 70s (many baby boomers look favorably upon this time period). They don't like things that remind them inequality still exists – such as a company refusing someone employment based on skin color.

3) Millennials Are Big On Crypto

The future of finance is rapidly changing with the introduction of new technologies, most notably cryptocurrencies. In fact, according to a study by LendEDU, 18% of millennials have already invested in cryptocurrency and that number is expected to increase as they become more familiar with the emerging asset class. Since bitcoin's inception back in 2009, this decentralized digital currency has captured mass attention on an international scale; it would be difficult for any millennial not to at least know what crypto is or how it works. This exposure will also make them aware of other types of currencies like Ripple (XRP), Dash (DASH), and Stellar Lumens (XLM). These are all blockchain-based assets that can provide faster transactions than traditional methods such as

4) They Are Breaking The Boundaries Of Traditional Finance

They are investing in cleaner alternatives to fossil fuels and traditional investment opportunities. A few examples of companies that millennials have helped fund include. Solar City, Uber, Lyft, etc. By breaking the boundaries of traditional finance they help provide a means for alternative options to become available. This is important not only because it helps support sustainable technologies but also because it gives people more choices when deciding how to invest their money.

Millennials want to make sure that their investments align with their values which include being good for the environment as well as financially sound. For example, many young investors see clean energy companies like the solar city or electric car company Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA) as long-term stable investments due to its strong commitment towards sustainability.

5) Millenials Are Changing The Way We Access Money

The invention of new technologies such as blockchain and bitcoin has allowed for a whole range of financial products to be developed.Millennials will not only use these services but also help develop them further.

Millennials are more likely to use a mobile wallet or other banking services.They have adapted the way they access money and will continue this trend as new technology is developed.

In part due to their reliance on mobile devices, millennials prefer digital payment methods instead of physical cash that can be lost or stolen easily. These types of transactions are also easier to track which is important for the younger generation who want transparency in their accounts.

Many millennials have already adapted these forms of banking services because it helps simplify their lives.For example, using Venmo or PayPal allows you to quickly split bills with friends and family members instead of having multiple cash transfers between each person.