The Four F's To A Happy Life

The Four F's To A Happy Life

In life, as we all know, there will always be ups and downs.

1335
The Four F's To A Happy Life
Kaiomi Inniss

In life, as we all know, there will always be ups and downs, good times and not-so-good times, but the downs and not-so-good times can be lessened if we adopt certain practices. Here, I have what I call "The Four F's" that I adopted to help foster happiness into my life and I hope these can help, or inspire you to find your version of my Four F's.

FIND something you love and immerse yourself in it.

For me, I recently found a love for the environment and agriculture, and all things related to that field. Now, nothing makes me happier than reading articles on agriculture, food, clean eating and general ways to help the environment. I usually have multiple tabs on my browser open learning new things about a field which I love. I took classes on environment and I'm currently interning at a sustainable farm and market called The San Antonio Green Market located in Santa Cruz, Trinidad and Tobago. By doing this, I'm allowing myself to be surrounded by people who are interested in similar things and it is a really good feeling. So, my advice to you is to find something you truly love, and really try to delve into it, whether it be literature, languages, fashion, film-making, art.

FEEL good about yourself, always.

In this digital age, where many of us spend our time online, it can be really hard to not compare yourself to other people, trust me, I know. Scrolling through Instagram or Facebook and seeing someone doing something that looks amazingly fun, or someone who you think is having a better life than you are or looks more physically attractive than you, are all things that many of us face. However, I think it is so important that we understand that social media is a heavily curated portrayal of someone's life. People are posting the highlights of their life and you are feeding into the idea that their life is 100 percent amazing all of the time.

Feeling good about yourself goes beyond feeling comfortable in your appearance, though the latter is also consequential. Feeling good about yourself extends to feeling good about who you are. Often we confused the idea of "self" as how we look on the outside, but really we are complex beings with a spirit. How do you feel about your spirit? When you feel good about who you actually are as a person, you will see how easy it is to accept and appreciate all parts of yourself.

Additionally, start the practice of finding daily affirmations, such as "I am beautiful," "I have a purpose," "I am loved," and say it to yourself in front of the mirror every morning.

FREE up yourself and your mind.

Where I'm from, we have a popular saying called "free up yuh self," which just means to let go of your worries, be you and have a good time. I think this should be applied to everyone. Sometimes we as humans really need to take a break from all the gravity of our lives and just let loose and have fun! Some of the ways I like to "free up" myself are by taking a stroll in the evening time when the sun is setting, going to a party with friends and dancing the entire night, or simply by writing or reading poetry. You should find an activity that helps you to be calm and just feel free, such as yoga, gardening, reading, watching movies, or simply listening to whatever music you like.

FORGIVE others and yourself.

Forgiveness is somewhat of an art that everyone needs to master. Letting go of anger or pain of a past situation definitely takes some time, but forgiveness can speed up the healing process, or make it bearable. When you find yourself not being able to let go of a past situation, maybe try writing down why you are still hurt. After you do this, write down how you feel, then write down how you would like to feel. Read over what you have written and only focus on the feelings you want to experience and try every day to find ways to experience those feelings. Always remember forgiveness is about you, and not the person who did you wrong. Forgiveness helps you to get rid of negative emotions and energies and focus on bringing positive energy into your being and your life.