The Florida Winter

The Florida Winter

Yes, we have a winter.

43
The Florida Winter

While most of the United States is dealing with dropping temperatures, we here in the tropical state of Florida are experiencing the cold as well. With highs in the 70s, we're really feeling this winter's bite. For our Northerner friends doubting that Florida has a winter, here are a few signs that winter happens in the Sunshine State.

The temperature drops below 75.

While some of you may laugh, when you live in a state that averages 95+, this is actually quite a shock to our systems. Especially since we don't often get a gradual change as the northern states do. One day it's 86, the next it's 69. There are also days where we wake up to 58-degree weather only to find that the high that day is 82 degrees. How do you dress for that?!

All the natives are piled under layers.

We don't have a ton of winter clothes. In fact, our heavy jackets typically sit in the closet and collect dust for the few days of real cold we have every year. Don't judge us too harshly, our closet mostly consists of shorts and tank tops.

The beaches are empty.

At a certain point in the year, the water gets too cold for most people. A true sign of winter is a barren beach. Or a beach with people huddled under blankets.

The "Florida is not participating in winter" memes pop up.

Every. Single. Year. It's not like it's news to you that we're a tropical state. There's a reason people flock here in the winter, to escape the cold. Get over it.

The orange groves get an icy shell.

The telltale sign that Florida has reached winter is when it drops below freezing and the oranges need to get an ice layer to insulate the produce. Because even in Florida, temperatures can drop below 32. It's rare, and when it happens the whole state starts to panic. But even the Sunshine State cannot escape winter.