The Five Stages of Grieving This Election

What the Trump win has done to my emotions.

6
Politico

Grab 'em by the pussy.

Did that make you uncomfortable? I wonder, does it make you more uncomfortable that this is one of many obscene mottos of our future president? I can tell you that as a young woman, these five words made me incredibly uncomfortable and made me feel unsafe in a world that already promotes rape culture and a world where 1 in 6 women are sexually assaulted. What blew me away was not just Mr. Trump's lewd comments, it was the fact that he continued to have the support of many Americans—half the country, as we came to find out.

That isn't even the whole story, it's not as if he said this one inappropriate thing, apologized for it and moved on. No, this is the man who labeled most Mexicans (those bad hombres)drug dealers and rapists, who has sexualized his own daughter, repeatedly questioned President Obama's birth certificate, thinks 'taking out' terrorists' families is a way to solve the problem, and believes that climate change is a hoax.

And that's still not the whole story. That's the tip of the iceberg. Those are values held by the future leader of this country. When I found out that it was a certainty that he would be president, I grieved, bringing to mind psychology's renowned five stages of grief. Here's a little glimpse into what that looked like.

One. Denial. As I watched the map light up red, I wasn't super concerned. I knew that southern and midwestern states tend to lean Republican, and that all we needed to do was pull through with a lot of Democratic electoral votes (which I also think is a crazy and complex voting system, and should be based on simple majority, but I digress). Then things started to head south, and I realized the reality of the situation.

Two. Anger. I was absolutely fuming. I had never felt so betrayed by this country as an immigrant, a young woman, and a Latina. It blew my mind that a campaign run on hate and prejudice was a winning one. What made me even more furious that people wasted their votes on a dead gorilla, Harry Styles, or Bernie Sanders, if they voted at all. It felt like such a slap in the face, and such a disrespect to the men and women who have fought so hard for the right to suffrage in this country. I also experienced a period of intense resentment toward those who voted third party because they thought their vote would have counted—even though it could have made a difference.

Three. Bargaining. I can't tell you how many times I've reminded myself that at the very least, we aren't under the leadership of President Mike Pence, who is a loose cannon for his own reasons. I've also taken a little bit of solace in the fact that Mr. Trump is a president, and not a dictator, and therefore, cannot do whatever he wants. Then I remember that Republicans now control both the House and the Senate, and that as president, Trump will appoint a supreme court justice of his choosing and it makes me uneasy.

Four. Depression. Not going to lie, I had a 3 AM pity party during election night in my living room where I burst into tears of disbelief and frustration. As I've said, I had never felt so let down and so unheard and under-appreciated. One of the first things I thought was about how hate and stereotypes had won, and that half the country had come out and voted as a personal slight to me.

Five. Acceptance. While still unhappy, I can think about a Trump presidency without wanting to rip all my hair out (maybe just half). If anything, it's reminded me that now is the time for my voice to be heard. People have been saying that hate and prejudice no longer exist in this country, but a candidate who centered his campaign around that has won, so that is obviously not a truth. Someone told me the other day that we as minorities can no longer be silent, we have to speak up and let our voices be heard. Then, at the next election and the ones after that, we can ensure that this level of foolishness never occurs again.