The First 30 Disney Channel Original Movies Down, 70 More To Go

Just about a third of the way done looking at the 100 DCOMs.

85
Disney Channel

Disney Channel has aired 100 of their Original Movies! In June, the 100th movie was aired. I have already looked at the first twenty of the DCOMs: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/the-first-10-are-always-the-easiest-to-get-through and https://www.theodysseyonline.com/when-life-gives-you-100-disney-channel-original-movies-watch-10-more. Here is the introduction to this series: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/disney-channel-nostalgia-reminiscing-takes-time. If you do not really understand what the categories listed underneath the title are all about, here is the article addressing those: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/how-much-do-each-of-the-100-disney-channel-original-movies-have-in-common. I love each of these next ten movies in their own way.

Without further ado, onto the next ten!

21. “The Other Me” (2000)

Could this really happen?: boy makes clone of himself through science project

Based on a book: “Me Two” (1991) by Mary C. Ryan

A Breaking of the Status Quo

In this second DCOM appearance, Andrew Lawrence stars as Will Browning and his clone, Twoie. When Will accidentally makes a clone of himself, he finds out that his new friend is very intelligent. So like any seventh grader that dislikes school, Will makes his clone go to school for him. Standing up to the school bully and dancing on a cafeteria table are just two things that ensue when Twoie takes Will’s place. I thought this movie was pretty cool. It would be pretty awesome if I could make a clone of myself through a faulty science project! Don’t be afraid to stand out from the crowd and be who you are. It is a whole lot more fun!

22. “Mom’s Got a Date with a Vampire” (2000)

Not in the real world: vampires

In the only DCOM so far to have a real vampire as the antagonist, Disney Channel does not disappoint in bringing all the legends of vampires to life. Adam Hansen wants to get his mom a date, so he can sneak out and go to a concert. But he and his siblings soon realize that their mom’s date does not just want to go out to dinner but have her for his dinner! Matt O’Leary, Gary Giggles from “Spy Kids,” plays the older brother. Caroline Rhea plays the mom, and she is also Phineas and Ferb’s mom, Linda Flynn-Fletcher, in the popular Disney Channel Original Series. I enjoyed this movie, but I was really hoping the handsome vampire would not be all that bad. Sadly, I was wrong. Be careful what you do on the Internet. But if you do get your mom a date, and he just happens to be a vampire, it would probably be a good idea to exploit his weaknesses.

23. “Phantom of the Megaplex” (2000)

Fiction

Pete Riley loves working as the assistant manager at the local megaplex. But when a big movie premieres, Pete’s life becomes miserably stressful when everything starts going wrong. The popcorn at the concessions stand will not stop popping, some of the movie projectors are acting up, and the manager keeps getting tied up. All bad things of the night are blamed on the mysterious phantom. As you can probably tell, this movie is going to be similar to “The Phantom of the Opera” in a few different ways. The little brother is the same actor as Jake Baker from “Cheaper by the Dozen.” The actress that plays the sister also stars as Andrea Framm in two of the “Air Bud” movies. Mickey Rooney, a well-known actor with an impressive résumé, plays Movie Mason. I love this movie. It probably has nothing due to the fact that I work at a movie theatre. Thankfully, at my theatre we do not have a phantom. But it is said that there is a ghost in the oldest screen. All phantoms asides, we find that we should treasure the past as well as be a non-workaholic kid while we still can.

24. “The Ultimate Christmas Present” (2000)

Not in the real world: Santa Claus

When Allie and Sam “find” a strange object in the woods, they learn that it is a weather machine. In order to miss school, they make Los Angeles a winter wonderland during the Christmas season. But they soon learn that their actions released some terrible consequences. This movie is Brenda Song’s first appearance in a Disney Channel title. The mom from “Lizzie McGuire” turns outs to be the mom in this movie as well. Spencer Breslin, another native to Disney Channel, plays Allie’s little brother. This movie was pretty good. The elves were tall, though. Ultimately—see what I did there—do not take what is not yours, even if it looks really cool; Santa Claus may just personally come to your door and scold you.

25. “Zenon: The Zequel” (2001)

Could this really happen?: space stations in the future, girl communicates with aliens

Based on a Book: “Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century” (1996) by Marilyn Sadler and Roger Bollen

Sequel to: “Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century” (1999)

Sequel: “Zenon: Z3” (2004)

The last time we saw Zenon, she saved her entire space day from destruction, but even then, past events have made the space station go out of orbit. While again trying to save her home, Zenon believes that aliens are communicating with her about wanting to meet Proto Zoa. I’m not going to tell you what happens, but spoiler alert: Proto Zoa sings a new song. Sadly, Raven-Symoné does not return as Zenon’s best friend Nebula, but we do get Shadia Simmons, Piper Dellums in “The Color of Friendship,” to take her place. Also, Ryan and Sharpay Evans’ dad from “High School Musical 2” plays Zenon’s dad. I love Zenon, so I naturally had to love this movie. It was stellar major for being the 25th DCOM! Zenon teaches us that if you believe something to be true, but others insist you are wrong, keep holding on till you prove yourself.

26. “Motocrossed” (2001)

Sports: motocross

Based on a play: “Twelfth Night” (1601-02) by William Shakespeare

A Breaking of the Status Quo

In a practice race against his twin sister, Andrea “Andi,” Andrew Carson gets injured and is not able to compete in the motocross competition. Their dad goes to Europe to find another racer, but there is not enough time. Against her father’s would-be wishes, Andrea enters the competition. Since guys would not take her seriously racing as a girl, Andi disguises herself as her brother. Things get even more complicated when Andi starts to like a fellow racer. Dean Talon plays this fellow racer; he also plays Ashley Olsen’s love interest in “New York Minute.” I absolutely loved this movie. No doubt it is in my Top 25 of DCOMs. Even though something may seem “too dangerous” for girls, don’t worry we can handle it. For all the ladies out there, don’t disguise yourself as a guy in order to do what you love.

27. “The Luck of the Irish” (2001)

Not in the real world: leprechauns

Second-nature sports: basketball

In his second DCOM, Ryan Merriman plays Kyle Johnson, the popular basketball player who is the luckiest guy in school, until he loses his lucky gold coin. Kyle’s parents unwillingly tell him that he is Irish and a leprechaun of the O’Reilly clan. In order to regain the family’s luck and his height, Kyle must go up against the thieving Seamus McTiernen. “The Luck of the Irish” is one of my favorite DCOMs. This movie shows that real talent comes from practice, not luck. Also, be proud of your heritage, for it is a part of you.

28. “Hounded” (2001)

Animals: dogs

Fiction

When Jay Martin breaks into his principal’s pool house (prior backstory), he leaves with the prize show dog on his tail. What seems to be a small, cuddly pooch turns out to be Jay’s worst nightmare. His older brother comes home to see that this dog has terrorized the house along with Jay. The brothers’ ultimate goal is to get the dog back without being caught. Easier said than done. Tahj Mowry, the little brother of Tia and Tamera Mowry, stars in his first DCOM. Shia LaBeouf, Sara Paxton, and Ed Begley, Jr. are also in the movie. My mom and I could not stop laughing at this movie. It was hilarious. Overall, take responsibility for your actions; do not blame others for everything that has gone wrong.

29. “Jett Jackson: The Movie” (2001)

Not in the real world: alternate dimension through artifact

Disney Channel Original Series: “The Famous Jett Jackson” (1998-2001)

This is the first DCOM to also have a Disney Channel Original Series. In this movie, Jett Jackson wants to have a normal life, but that would mean quitting his popular character “Silverstone.” In an accident while filming, Jet is transported to Silverstone’s world while Silverstone takes Jett’s place in ours. Jet comes to see how blessed he really is, while Silverstone understands that he always had a family. Even though I had never seen “The Famous Jett Jackson” series, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Sometimes it takes getting stuck in an alternate universe to show how blessed you truly are.

30. “The Jennie Project” (2001)

Realistic fiction: chimpanzees and sign language

Animals: chimpanzees

Based on a book: “Jennie” (1994) by Douglas Preston, Charles Leavitt, and Gary Nadeau

After being gone for months, Andrew’s dad brings home a chimpanzee named Jennie. Dr. Archibald and his family start teaching Jennie American Sign Language. They soon start to understand the importance of this chimpanzee, not only for science but her being part of the family. In his first DCOM, Alex D. Linz plays Andrew. He is also in “Home Alone 3” as Alex Pruitt. Lance Guest plays Dr. Archibald as well as Cosmo in “My Stepsister from Planet Weird.” This movie is quite realistic. Just the other day I was reading about how researchers are teaching chimpanzees communication through ASL. It is very fascinating. Through this movie we see that, sometimes, best friends come from the unlikeliest places, like the jungle.

There you go! From clones, vampires, phantoms, and Santa Claus to space stations, motocross, leprechauns, and chimpanzees, number 21-30 of the DCOMs has covered it all. Almost a third of the way done!