The Final Countdown

The Final Countdown

Should I take the L on this one?

49
The Final Countdown
TOURO LAWOSS

If you thought midterms were rough well look out cause here come: Finals. Sure I’m writing this on Thursday and I have a week until my first final, but does that mean that I have a week to study for my finals… of course not. There are final projects, papers, and homework leading up to the last day of classes. Not to mention actually prepping my studying materials, opening the book I haven’t touched since September and making flashcards for words I won’t remember.

I've sent in my extra credit, tried and failed to figure out what my actual grade is in each class and now I wait for the moment of truth. The test to determine if I actually learned anything all semester, if my thousands of dollars went wasted or if I'm just really dumb. Over this semester I've tried my best and studied hard, but now is a time that counts. But I know that I'll spend hours working on a study guide that may have nothing to do with the subject matter or maybe, just maybe I'll study the perfect amount to ace each exam.

However, there are some exams that I doubt I will feel confident taking. For example, when a professor says, "You should need the allotted 3 hours to finish this exam" I am automatically nervous. Why would you want us to suffer for that long, that is extremely unnecessary. Or I’m scared for the exams in the classes that I’m already not that confident in. Nerves come and go, but final exams heighten every single one. Whether the test is cumulative or not, the sheer thought of the test is a scary one.

As for tips and tricks, I say good luck and “may the odds be ever in your favor” because exams can seem like a bloodbath at times. But I’ve found studying both alone and with friends to be helpful. Being in a study group with people whom you can have fun with, but also be serious with is important. Study Groups spread ideas and different ways to think about the material. My political science study group is honestly the best thing to ever happen. It not only helped me better understand the material, but also brought me closer to a fantastic group of people that I can now call my friends.

I should probably start studying because I know this is going to be a long week. But to everyone with a final coming up don't study too hard. Yes finals are important, but don't spend your time locked in your room with a book. Take a walk, spend time with friends, call your parents and take a break once in a while. Grades do matter, but they are not the end all be all, they do not define you.