Internalized Misogyny

Feminism is a word that is commonly misunderstood in our modern society. I’ve learned that to brand myself as a feminist is to brand myself as a misandrist and a woman who is “not like other women.” And why is this? Why is feminism so negatively connotated? This label isn’t always labeled by the self proclaimed righteous male meninists. This label is deemed too by the likes of women.

Internal misgynony. Women against feminism.Women for Trump. Women who support unequal pay for equal work. Women who believe in the degradation of other women. Women who don’t support intersectional feminism. This is a concept I have always struggled to understand. How can a woman be so rooted in bigotry? Internal oppressions slows the goals of social change. Women who are internally misogynistic are not to blame. We should blame the centuries of externalized and internalized hate against women. We should blame the lack of education surrounding this topic.

A feminist is defined as “the person who believes in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.” This definition is founded in Beyonce’s “Flawless.” Feminism is a movement that encompasses the notion of pure equity and equality for all sexes. Women, non-binary person's, bigenders, intergenders and every single other gender identity. Feminism is the hope that our future generations will not have to face the same sexist struggles as we today. Feminism is the hope that tomorrow we may not have to face the same sexist struggles we did today.

To be internally misogynistic is possibly the biggest form of irony in a progressive centred society. To firmly support and believe anti feministic ideals as a women is to firmly support and believe in a second class status for yourself. Personally, I have learned that feminism is so much more than what it seems. It’s a complexly layered ideal. It fights for everyone’s rights. Men and women. Black and white. Religious and nonreligious.

My question is how do we fix internalized misogyny? Not fight it. We shouldn’t have to fight other women. As women we should want to encourage and support and empower and suppress the oppressions that we all face day to day. As a feminist, I want all women to understand this fight, this movement, this calling. I believe that as women we have to stand together. We have to act in solidarity for each other and each other’s oppressions. I believe the world will never change if we bind ourselves to this “fight to fix” mindset. I believe in education and research about these topics. These topics including equal pay for equal work, and the the right for a woman to do whatever she wants to do because it’s her right and to not receive constant persecution for following this right. For women to wear what they want to wear. For women to work in jobs that they are more than qualified for. For women to fight and serve this country as equals to men. For trans women to get the respect that they deserve and the validity that this society continually denies to them. For women of color to get the rights they deserve.

I want to live in a world where women don’t have to get up every morning and face struggle simply because we are women. I want to live in a world where all women and all people understand the full weight of oppression that different human beings face. The eradication of internalized misogyny will help this goal become a reality.