The Essence Of Vacation

The Essence Of Vacation

The Creator created vacation, you know that?

162
The Essence Of Vacation
Madison Means

Vacation. What does this even really mean? I asked a close friend her thoughts and here's what she said. Merriam (of Merriam-Webster): "a period spent away from home or business in travel or recreation." I could say this is accurate, but I think we can all agree that it is so much more.

I am writing to you from Hilton Head Island, S.C. and let me paint you a little picture.

This morning I decided to take a little stroll, one that I wish would have never ended. It felt like pure bliss, you know that feeling? The feeling where you are just smiling to yourself for no reason, that was me. I was walking along the paved path and found myself gleaming with joy in the fact that I had no obligations, no responsibilities, no time constraints. I felt at peace- I thought to myself this is the way the world was meant to be.

Later in the day, after some fun in the sun, I found myself drawing away. Some may call this quiet time, I like to call it refreshing time. I spend this time catching up, rejuvenating, reading truth and hashing burdens out with the One I know can handle them.

My girl Tay and I like to share in refreshing time, every now and then. Before I left, we decided to start a reading plan together. As I sat down to read, today, I could not have come across a more perfect reading. It was as though all the emotions I had felt from my walk earlier in the day made sense, I realized this is the day the Lord has made and this is how He wants me to rejoice and be glad in it. This reading brought me back to the start. It allowed me to appreciate the fact that this world, this life, this vacation is not something to take for granted.

"The earth was without form and void, darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters." (Genesis 1:2)

Imagine that. I was sitting there imagining that as I was staring at the water.

"Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear. And it was so. God called the dry land Earth, and the waters that were gathered together he called Seas. And God saw that it was good." (Genesis 1:9-10)

Now, I am sitting here thinking God thought this was good? Just good? I am thinking this is a masterpiece. I read on to find that as God was speaking everything into being, he creates and human and says it is very good. The crown jewel of all Creation- God makes human and here am I, the one who gets to sit in awe. That pure bliss feeling that I am feeling refreshed to as I am on vacation.

"When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon, and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him?" (Psalm 8:3-4)

These words are exactly how I felt.

I am left speechless. The truth is that of all the wonders: the ocean, the sky, the mountains, the gorges. God created Man in his image. He saved the best for last and that is my reason to sing.

I share this because it's true. It's a realization I have been made reassured to while on vacation. But the fact is, this is a reality I get to rejoice in daily. It does not have to be on vacation that I feel the essence of vacation. It does not have to be on a walk that I feel pure bliss. It is in Our Creator, that I can feel this at all times. For that, I am thankful.