The Epidemic That Needs To Stop

The Epidemic That Needs To Stop

We need all the help we can get.

18
Google

Everyone is noticing it, but some choose to ignore it or say "they'll get better" or "they'll figure it out," but the recent increase in illegal drug use is vastly spreading and taking lives and it will not stop unless there is a will to stop and sources for those struggling to obtain the proper help they so desperately need.The most common, on the rise, addictive drug right now is heroin.

Seen on this map New York, Pennsylvania, and the surrounding states have the most heroin use. From the map you can see that it is spreading, also there is a mix of opiates spreading as well. Recently, if the news is on, you can't watch it without learning about a new overdose.

Found on the National Institute on Drug Abuse website, Heroin is actually derived from morphine; it is extracted from the seedpods of some varieties of poppy plants. This drug comes in three different forms, white or brown powder or a sticky black substance that is referred to as "black tar heroin." It is one of the fastest acting opiate drugs, weather it is injected, snorted, or smoked it arrives to the brain quickly. Many people get addicted because it is cheaper and easier to obtain than prescription pain relievers.

According to overdoseday.com, more people died from overdoses in 2014 than in any other year record. Overdose deaths involving opiates killed more than 28,000 people in 2014, over half of those deaths were prescription opiates. Not only that but in the U.S in 2014 a total of 47,055 overdose deaths occurred. This is due to increase this year with the epidemic that is currently sweeping the nation.

In order to get better, the addicts themselves have to realize and accept that they have a problem and need help. You can not tell an addict what to do or even that they are an addict because they will most likely deny it to a T. It may take up to seven times in and out of a rehab center for addicts to fully recover. When trying to withdraw from the drug, it is a hard long process. Patience is key.

If you know anyone who is need of treatment or is currently battling drug addiction, please contact your local rehab center.