The Easy Solution To Racial Tension

The Easy Solution To Racial Tension

You can impact your communities. Swallow your pride and put on a badge.

382
The Easy Solution To Racial Tension
The Washington Post

These past few weeks, the American people have seen the rebirth of racial conflict. The shootings in Louisiana and Minnesota, along with the massacre in Dallas, have brought racial tensions to a boiling point. We’ve seen protests, town halls, statements and speeches, but as usual with America, no widely publicized solutions.

For 240 years, Americans have compromised. Working with the other side of the aisle was common, and the one time both sides refused to back down resulted in the deadliest war in American history. Coincidentally, the Civil War was also fought over race relations. It is time to stop this, America. How many more have to die, how many more children have to grow up without a mother and a father, how many more nights like Dallas have to occur before we stop this?

In a crisis, it is easy to assign blame. It can be easy to look at the other side and devalue their problems. That is an attitude of defiance and loyalty, but also of stubbornness. Stubbornness doesn’t solve problems. As long as the #BlackLivesMatter protesters and local police officers are at odds with each other, this violence will continue. That I can promise you. America cannot expect to fight hate with hate and win.

There is one simple solution to this: #BlackLivesMatter protestors need to get off the streets, and get into a uniform. Don’t wait for change to come from another person, at another time. Make it happen yourselves. I can promise you this: police, fire and EMS departments around the country are all critically underfunded and understaffed. They need new workers, officers and medics who genuinely care about the welfare of the American people. If you can pass the tests, you will be hired. Stop sitting on the front porch or standing with a sign. Stop this pointless hate. Go fill out an application, go pass the tests, go make a difference in your own communities.

#BlackLivesMatter protestors have a just cause. Police violence is an issue, and in some cases is justified. I agree that there is absolutely no need to shoot someone 17 times in the back, but what you cannot hope to legislate is a person’s reaction to stress. Law enforcement officers go through unimaginable horrors in their everyday lives. They see the domestic abuse, the drug overdoses, the animal cruelty; they see it all. Daily, I am thankful for those who are willing to put on a uniform and head into danger to keep our communities safe. So #BLM, don’t hate those who serve, for they serve for a good cause. Instead, make the change yourselves. It is a good salary, an opportunity for advancement and a career that has a direct impact on the welfare of the community.

Americans, now is the time to stand together. We live in an increasingly fragile and dangerous world. The last the United States needs is for our people to start fighting amongst ourselves. Put aside your hate, put aside your fear, and work together. If we include everyone, whites, blacks, Hispanics, Native Americans, Asian Americans, we can make our law enforcement a source of good, not a source of fear.

No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. –Buddha