The Early Bird Gets The Worm

The Early Bird Gets The Worm

5 Things I've Learned From Being A Morning Person

16
The Early Bird Gets The Worm
Lifehack

Mornings get a bad rap. You’re rushed, you’re tired, and sometimes it even feels too early to eat breakfast. Since beginning college last year, I have developed a new appreciation and love for my morning time. Even if you don’t consider yourself a “morning person,” you may be surprised at the gradual changes you’ll notice when you make the choice to wake up a little earlier.

1. There are plenty of other people awake

As college students, 8 A.M may seem like a very lonely time of the day. But in the “real world” many have had their breakfast, their workout, answered their e-mails and started their workday. While the college campus may not be crawling with activity quite yet, there are people out there who have been settled into their cubicle for hours. Welcome to the world of “adulting.”

2. It’s quieter in the morning

If you’re always part of the hustle and bustle of your roommates making breakfast or the 10 AM crowd leaving for class, you may struggle to find a little peace and quiet in your everyday life. A simple solution? Try setting your alarm a little earlier. As great as it sounds to sleep in during or after a particularly stressful week, sometimes the stillness and quietness you find in the early hours of the day can be extremely recharging. I find the more I am able to relax in the morning, the better I am able to carry that sense of relaxation into the rest of my day.

3. You’re more alert in the morning

This may be different for everyone, but I have found that I am much more likely to get work done efficiently (and comprehend better) when I complete it in the earlier hours of the day. It’s common to want to carve out long hours at the end of the day to cram in some last minute studying or homework time. By setting aside some work time in the morning you may be surprised at how effective you are as opposed to the 11 PM coffee- induced study time.

4. A productive morning makes for a productive day

The expression “waking up on the wrong side of the bed” holds true. Your morning can really set the stage for the rest of your day. If you sleep in, rush out the door, and don’t take care of the things you need to take care of in the morning, you may not feel as accomplished and may never achieve any sense of relaxation during your day. Simply getting some errands done early, answering emails before you even get out of bed, or dividing up your homework time so you can get some of it completed in the morning might make the day feel a little less demanding.

5. There are, in fact, enough hours in the day

We’ve all felt it or said it. It’s easy to succumb to the notion that there “just are not enough hours in the day.” While some days are certainly busier than others, there is always time to wake up a bit earlier. So next time you catch yourself spouting this cliché, ask yourself “what time did I wake up this morning?”