After 52 Years, We Finally Did It

After 52 Years, We Finally Did It

And you all had your doubts about the underdogs!

293
After 52 Years, We Finally Did It
Philadelphia Eagles 2009 summer scrimmage - McNabb in as QB

Yup. Still Number 1. This is still real life. After 52 long, difficult years the Lombardi Trophy is coming to Philadelphia. As of the time this article is being written (Monday), the parade will be on Thursday morning. Philly will finally have the parade we’ve been waiting so long for. Surprisingly, waking up this morning in North Philly the city was still standing. We might have lost a few traffic lights, street signs, and hotel awnings but it’s a small price to pay. So what a few stores were broken into? The Eagles are National Champions.

It’s amazing to think about all the people, like the 99-year-old fan Philly Phil, who finally saw an Eagles championship. I know my grandfather most likely shed a tear watching from his living room chair. Some people had to wait all their lives to see this. They were beaten down year after year from heartbreak after heartbreak, defeat to defeat. All that was worth it, though, for this moment. We can proudly say we finally have a ring. We’re in the Lombardi club.

Big “Stick” Nick Foles played, maybe, the best game of his life against the best quarterback of all time. Think about that for another second. Our backup quarterback, who absolutely everyone outside of Philly doubted, went tow-to-tow with the GOAT and came out on top. In general, what a game. Insanely close, I know I was nervously eating the entire game. A strip sack was the deciding play and pushed us over the top. Hats off to the Patriots, though. Over 600 total yards of offense, 3 TDs by Brady, and no punts usually is enough to give you the win. But not against the Eagles. Not this year. Nothing was stopping this team. There was an obvious close-knit feel about this group. Between Coach Pederson and team leaders like Malcolm Jenkins, Wentz, Chris Long, or Fletcher Cox, this team seemed to really love each other and play for each other as well as the greatest fans in the world.

It’s truly difficult to put into words how this feels. For myself, my Dad, and for this city. I’m not sure there has ever been such a euphoric riot on this scale and if there ever will be again. Shirtless men on top of police vans, SWAT teams, marriage proposals and fireworks I’m truly grateful to have been in the city for that celebration and cannot wait for the parade. What an amazing team and I’ve never been happier going into the football offseason. Go Birds.

Honorable mention goes out to Meek Mill. Let’s get him out of prison ASAP.