The Do's and Don't's of Coachella

The Do's and Don't's of Coachella

Everything you need to know about surviving Coachella.

714
The Do's and Don't's of Coachella

Thousands of people will flock to the Californian desert this weekend and the next to attend arguably one of the best music festivals in the United States. I am one of the many preparing for three days of killer music, good vibes, and of course, the blazing heat. I've compiled a list of all the Dos and Don't's in the hopes that everyone going to Coachella this year will have the most successful festival experience possible.

1. DO check that you have everything you need before going to the festival.

Ticket? Check. Friends? Check. Money? Check. It really sucks when your friends and you get to the front of the line after waiting for half an hour, and...oh shit you forgot your ID. Good luck having anyone come with you to get it.

2. DON'T forget to bring sunscreen.

This is definitely important. You're going to be in the sun all day for three days and becoming a lobster with skin cancer should not be on your festival agenda. If it is, then...well...okay.

3. DO make a list of sets you want to see and grab a paper map when you're there. That, or download the Coachella app.

The festival scene can get pretty hectic, with various artists all playing at the same time. To save yourself from the chaos and risk of missing someone you wanted to see, make a list of the artists you want to see each day as well as the stages they're playing at and times they're playing. This way, you can go see everyone you want to see as well as map out break times to chill out in the shade and rest. To figure out where all the stages are, grab a paper map at the entrance. Getting the Coachella 2016 app is a good idea too. It tells you your location, points of interest within the festival grounds, and the day's lineup as well as FAQs about the festival.

4. DON'T bring a credit card.

This is up in the air, especially if you want to purchase souvenir shirts or other items (I suggest you don't because they're a lot cheaper online), but I've found it's better to just bring a lot of cash and keep that in a safe place. Like any crowded place, there will be pickpockets. And losing your credit card is definitely worse than losing cash; you'll want to leave the festival to cancel it before someone uses it. Also, if you drop your card, don't expect to get it back because not everyone there will be kindhearted.

5. DO bring an empty water bottle and drink more than you think you should.

Like most music festivals, Coachella allows you to bring empty bottles to fill at their water stations. Not only will you avoid having to pay a ridiculous amount for their water bottles, you have a better chance of avoiding dehydration, which is no joke out in the desert. Dehydration is probably the number one problem festival-goers encounter. It can cause headaches, vomiting, and a ton of other unpleasant symptoms that will ruin your experience. Dehydration can even lead to death. Make sure to drink a lot of water. If you feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated.

6. DON'T be stupid about drugs and alcohol.

If you are drinking, remember that alcohol dehydrates you a lot. Drink a lot of water to balance it out or you could be facing a crippling hangover in just a few hours. Regarding drugs, yes, they are illegal, but here's some advice for individuals who will inevitably take them anyway: Never buy drugs from people at the festival, especially if someone's handing it out for free. This seems like a given, but don't do it; you never know what you're getting. If you're intending on taking Molly, use a tester kit on it to see if has been mixed with other, more dangerous substances. Tester kits are inexpensive and one hundred percent worth it; checking could save your life. It is not uncommon for festival goers to die from ecstasy. Again, drink lots of water because drugs like Molly make it harder for you to feel hungry or thirsty before it's too late.

7. DO wear comfortable clothing and shoes.

Props to those girls who go into festivals with heels or even wedges. Seriously, I wouldn't be able to last more than an hour dancing and walking around in heels. Sneakers (such as Vans) are definitely the move at music festivals. You will get stepped on, you will be dancing a ton, the grounds could get muddy, you could accidentally step on glass. Sneakers are the best in all of those situations. Make sure your outfit is not only cute but functional. Sure, your boobs look great in that top, but won't it be annoying having to fix it every five seconds when you're dancing? Dress appropriately for the heat of the day, but also realize that the desert can get cold at night. A light jacket wouldn't be a bad idea if you have a bag to carry it in. Don't wear a headdress for goodness sakes. I will find you and I will slap you.

8. DON'T wear too much makeup.

I mean you could, but it's not ideal. Half an hour in and it'll be melting off your face. Minimal makeup is the best way to go at Coachella. You'll be a hot, sweaty mess; the least you could do is not wear a ton of foundation to clog your pores on top of that.

9. DO create a meeting spot with your friends.

There will be some artists you want to see while your friends want to go to others. That's okay, but make sure you can find each other again after going your separate ways. Establish a meeting spot that's easy to find early in the day to avoid a panic search for your drunk friend later on.

10. DON'T try to stay awake every night.

Yes, the festival is exciting and there will definitely be after parties you'll want to check out, but this isn't a sprint. It's a freaking marathon. Make sure you get a sufficient amount of sleep to get you through all three days. You may think it's a good idea to stay awake and rally, but trust me, it's not. The days are exhausting. Napping during free times between sets is recommended if you want to party at night.

11. DO have fun!

Going to Coachella is a special experience. There are a lot of things to remember, but on top of everything, have fun. Enjoy the music and the interesting people you'll surely meet. A lot of friends will be made along the way and a lot of memories will be made. Don't film every second of a set or waste time trying to take pictures. Don't let social media get in the way of enjoying the experience.

I'm really stoked to be going to Coachella and I hope you are too! With these Do's and Don't's you're now fully prepared to tackle the festival head on. Be safe and have a great time!