The Distorted American Dream

The Distorted American Dream

When possible gets confused with promised

920
The Distorted American Dream
Sylvana

Dreams are an extraordinary phenomenon that make any possible. The American Dream is no different than a dream one would have at night; the American Dream is the idea that anything is possible in the United States of America. However, in today’s society, people are confusing possible with promised. The American Dream is not dead rather it is distorted; it has strayed away from its origins giving people unrealistic expectations and promises that cannot be guaranteed. The term has a history that began as soon as explorers took their first steps onto American soil. Ever since then, all immigrants that traveled to America did it for similar reasons- to have an opportunity not provided by their homeland.

America is a gamble. Our land was stumbled upon trying to find trade routes to Asia. Men traveled thousands of miles to find things they were not sure they would find. Henry Hudson searched for the possibility of a northwest passage while Ponce de Leon hunted for the fountain of youth based on a hunch. From the beginning, nothing was guaranteed.

I hear people of all ages, all professions, and all political backgrounds express their concern of the dead American Dream. It is certainly not dead.

Somewhere along the lines, the American Dream has strayed from being given a chance to a measure of materialistic possessions. I cannot fully blame the American people as the media has portrayed the idea of the American Dream as the acquisition of materials. My favorite example which happens to be both a novel and movie is The Great Gatsby. Gatsby is portrayed as the American Dream because of his lavish lifestyle. He hosts grand parties, has the largest house on the West Egg and has everything a man could ever desire. The people of New York City painted him to be the idealistic American Dream.

So many of our ancestors were apart of the immigration rush in the late 1800's, early 1900's. They started with whatever clothes they left their native land wearing and a few dollars to get them started. By no means did they have an easy start to life here in America. They were shoved into overcrowded apartments and worked 15 hour days. They gave everything to provide a shelter and a decent life for their children, who grew up to be our grandparents and now, want to give us the world. Achieving the American Dream simply meant being given the opportunity to better your life. They were not promised or expecting fancy cars or 5- course dinners every night; they were given opportunity.

It is now 2017 and immigrants are still coming into the United States by the hundreds and thousands from all corners of the world. They see what the United States has to offer and will do whatever it takes to get here. Put aside the politics and debate of illegal immigration, there are other questions to be asked. Why are people still coming to America? Why are they risking everything? What is the appeal?

The answer to each of those questions is opportunity. People are risking their lives, and their families lives, to get into this country. Whether it be refugee's seeking acceptance or impoverished families looking for a chance- they all come to America for freedom and hope. The United States wouldn’t be so attractive to foreigners if the ‘Dream’ were dead.

America represents the free world. The Statue of Liberty continues to welcome in thousands of people and promises opportunity. Both the opportunity to succeed and to fail. As people’s successes are flaunted on the news and social media, the perception of perfection is given off. However, behind every success is failure. America is a country in which it allows its people to try new things. Maybe they will fail or maybe they will blossom, but the beauty of it all is the chance to try.

Now, take a step back. Look at the hand of cards you have been dealt. Was there a card for chance and opportunity? Have you used it yet?

Yes?!

Then consider yourself lucky because you have achieved an American Dream.