fiction, adoption, sisters, family

The Cullen Girls: Part 8

Follow the lives of Meredith, Amy, Olivia, Sarah, and Jane Cullen, as they navigate the unknown territories that come with building a family through adoption.

37
Kerri Caldwell
Kerri Caldwell

Jane kept everything-stuffed animals that Sarah somehow always managed to get from those claw machines, bracelets and key chains Olivia made every summer that they went to camp (Jane refused to go), and the glow in the dark stars Amy had put above Jane's bed when she'd first moved in were still up. Olivia and Amy watch as it gets easier to see them. It had been a long time since the two of them had shared secrets and fears in the dark. It was something they had done often as kids.

"Are you nervous at all?" Olivia whispers, her head touching her sister's. Amy doesn't need her to clarify the question.

"Yes. But I'm happy at the same time. Isn't that weird?"

"I don't know, doc, you tell me." Olivia teases. Amy elbows her. "It's perfectly normal." Olivia assures her, even though Amy doesn't need to be told so. But it's comforting, and that's what she needs.

"It's gonna be strange, you not having the same last name as us. I get why it upsets Jane."

Amy rests her head on Olivia's shoulder. "I will always be your big sister."

"So you've been telling me for 14 years."

Amy smiles into the dark.

"Think they're ok?"

"It is awfully quiet." Amy observes, yet neither makes a move to get up.

Sarah finds Jane in her garden, cutting flowers and putting them into a basket.

"You picking those for me?" Sarah asks.

Jane looks over her shoulder to glare. "I'm not picking, I'm cutting. And each one is your stupid ass head."

Sarah tries not to laugh, making Jane glare harder. She grabs a flower and aggressively cuts it into several pieces.

"Ok, look. I'm a little edgy. Can you understand that? I know it's not an excuse for what I said, but give me a break."

"Give ME a break! I was only trying to help!"

"I know that now, and I'm sorry you're feeling bad, too."

"Again." Jane corrects her. She stops cutting the flowers. Sarah sits down just outside the garden. It's dark out, and each day it came later and later. The lightning bugs are out, and the breeze off the coast is warm.

"Why do you do it, Jane?"

Jane looks over her shoulder. "Do what?"

Sarah picks at the grass as she quietly says, "Hide what you're doing from us."

Jane takes her time turning around. "Cuz I didn't want you guys to think you weren't good enough. Or that you were doing something that made me want my real family instead."

"But, Jane. They were your family. And they loved you."

Jane is quiet. Sarah gets up and moves into the garden. "It doesn't bother us, Janey. You can still keep it a secret whenever you do it, but we don't mind. We're glad you still think about them."

"Why?"

"You can't forget where you came from. If you had a family that loved you, and you miss them, then they deserve to be remembered."

Jane turns so she's sitting beside Sarah and their shoulders are touching. "What do you remember?"

"Everything that was bad. It's hard to forget."

"Do we make it easier?"

Sarah sighs, "I never used to remember. Not until today. But I'm counting on you guys to help me forget."

Jane watches her with those eyes. Sarah can't help but think those thoughts that bring up tears. It took a lot to make her cry.

"I just don't get it. Life is such bullshit sometimes. Where's the sense in tearing apart a family like yours, never giving you the chance to see them again, but keeping mine around, who show up when I never want to see them again?"

"Maybe to bring all of us together. To Meredith."

Sarah pauses. She'd never thought about it like that. If she let it, this thought would help, but she's too far into her emotions to let anything help. Jane can see this, so she slips her hand into Sarah's.

"Help me find our stars." She's glad when Sarah tilts her head back. It's quiet as they look for the 5 stars in the twilight that, to them, represented their family. It takes a few minutes, but Sarah is the first to find them.

"Guys?" They hear Ollie at the back door. Jane looks over to Sarah, still gazing at the stars.

"We're in my garden." Jane calls to Olivia. Amy is with her when they find them.

"What are you doing?" They join their sisters on the ground, and Jane's world is right again when they all settle into each other. It would take more than this for Sarah, but Jane was ok now.

"Look up." Jane tells them, and they do.

"God, it's been ages since I've looked for those stars." Olivia sighs.

"Not me." Amy and Jane say together, and Jane looks at her in surprise. Amy just smiles back.

"What, kid, you think I forgot about them? I look at them every night before I go to bed."

Jane stares. "Me, too."

Amy laughs. "I know." She shakes her head, still smiling. "I miss you a lot, Janey." she says simply. Jane is at a loss for words. It just never occurred to her.

Olivia lies on her back. "Today has been deep. I could use some simplicity."

Amy snorts. "What do you know about anything simple?"

"I don't. That's why I need it."

"How bout this? I love you, Ollie."

"I love YOU, Janey."

"I love you, Amy."

"I love you, Sarah."

And it was enough.