I Underestimated How Hard Finishing College Classes From Home Actually Is

What first seems like a weight off your shoulders then shows it's harder than it looks.

9936
Liv Kappler

When first finding out we had to do online school, I was kind of excited. Obviously, I was upset about not going back to finish my freshman year, but I thought that school itself would be much easier.

When I thought of online school, I thought of waking up whenever you want, pajamas all day, and being able to use the internet to help me with homework and classwork. While all of this is still true, online schooling has been a lot harder for me than I thought it would be.

I still have to wake up early so I can do all of my work before work or before it's time to layout (which is important of course). I have also found that it is extremely difficult for me to be able to focus and do work from home.

Typically, I would do my homework and classwork at the library in between classes or in the study room of my dorm. I am able to do this work alone and distraction-free. Now that I am home, I am surrounded by 4 other kids doing their schoolwork and my parents working from home.

I am also continuously tempted to call it a day and go take a nap or watch Netflix. Another thing I have found is that I am not really learning anything. I watch the lectures that I would typically hear in class, but I am not all the way in check with what is being taught.

I go through the motions of the schoolwork and complete it as quickly as possible, wanting to go do more fun things with my time. While I know this is mostly my fault, I still don't think that online schooling is as effective as going and sitting in a class.

I used to think that people taking online classes were taking an easy route, but props to those people because it is a lot harder than you think. I have to learn to go through and check every file and module to make sure nothing is due when usually I am just told during class.

On top of that, the internet must always be working and if you are having technical difficulties then the work takes that much longer to complete.

Basically, I feel for everyone who has to endure this transition of school and I hope you can get the hang of it better than me!

Happy quarantining and good luck!