The College Addiction

The College Addiction

15

During our college career, we all generate some sort of temporary addiction or bad habit.Sometimes, we have trouble identifying these addictions, but I am here to help.

No, I’m not talking about drugs! It’s anything but that. As college students, we develop habits we did not have prior to college and exam season is prime time. I will list some of the addictions people resort to during those stressful times.

Coffee. Coffee seems to be most college students’ best friend before a test. You would think the school would have a rule limiting the number of cups of coffee a student can consume. Many deny how dependent they have become on coffee even though, at that very moment, they have 10 empty cups on their desk and are more jittery than that guy from the house next door.

Energy drinks. I have no idea why people drink these. The majority of them taste so bad and are way to expensive. The idea of buying energy is incredibly ridiculous. Next time, maybe you should rethink the idea of buying energy drinks because in the end they are just not worth it! Try a Smart water.

Candy. This is probably the worst addiction of test season. For some reason, we feel sugary treats is what is going to keep us going all night when, in reality, it is just the way we drown our sorrow and console our shattered hopes of passing that test. Candy is a trap because once we start nibbling on them, we can never stop. I want to buy more and more every single time I go to the store. When exams are finally over, you are a pants size bigger with wrappers everywhere. 

Music. Before anyone says anything, yes – music can be an addiction! However, this addiction is a good thing. It helps you get through those tough times while studying. It calms you down when you are stressed. It actually gives you hope that you will pass your tests. In my opinion, music is the best way to get through those rough times in school. Listen away! 

Social media. Even though you should be studying, social media sites become 10 times more popular. Many students make excuses that they have to check Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc., when they are studying. This is a very bad habit that will prevent you from performing well on your tests and, at the same time, you let the world know how much you are procrastinating. Do yourself a favor and do not go on to social media sites until you are done studying and have taken your exams.

Netflix and Youtube. The reason that Netflix is considered an addiction is for similar reasons to that of social media sites. Netflix will prevent you from studying and encourage procrastination. The hidden secret in Netflix success? It is a trap. If you start a series on Netflix, or start watching a new channel on YouTube (which always happens during exams), then you have doomed yourself and will concentrate on finishing the series, rather than studying. 

I hope you made the right decision last quarter! If not, fret not. You have the opportunity for a pseudo do-over with spring quarter. 

Enjoy your quarter! 

Image Source: http://www.missmalini.com/2011/08/03/in-vogue-how-bloggers-survive-fashion-week/