The Broken Phone Detox

The Broken Phone Detox

An easy way to enjoy yourself and things around you.

3
The Broken Phone Detox
Raven Manchester

Cellphones have become a staple in today's society. Between Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook you probably check your phone every few minutes daily. I've always admired the people who I've seen doing social media and cell phone "detoxes" but I've never actually gotten around to it. I mean, checking your phone is the first thing you do when you wake up and its the last thing you do before bed. So what happens when you don't have one? Since an unfortunate accident involving my dog, a glass of water and my $500 phone, I've been phone-less while waiting for my new one to come in the mail. If you find yourself without a phone for a few days, here is what to expect.

Day one:

This day was the hardest for me. I kept checking my purse for my phone, and my brain kept telling me to check it. I never knew how addicted I was to my phone until this incident and honestly, it kind of grossed me out. I mean its just a piece of technology, why am I so glued to it? I found myself being extremely bored without the constant Snapchatting and meme browsing. The biggest downfall though is the worry of getting an important phone call and missing it....which I never worried about before so it was a strange feeling.

Day two:

At this point, my urges to check my phone weren't as strong, and I found myself doing more things around my house to fill up the time. Going out into public was such a weird experience without my phone, I actually paid attention to what was around me more. While I was running errands I found myself striking up conversations with some random people in the store, and took my time to actually enjoy my day out. Later that night I joined my friends for a New Years Eve party, and I didn't even get to take one Snapchat *gasp*. As someone with anxiety and bipolar disorder, I find it difficult to socialize at parties, and I end up using my phone as a crutch. Without that crutch, I found myself being able to enjoy myself around large groups, and actually had a lot of fun meeting some new people.

Day three:

Sundays are always my lazy days spent in, so without my phone, I honestly didn't know what to do. After sitting on my computer and watching some Netflix for most of the morning, I became extremely bored. I decided that I wouldn't let my phone being broken define my days any longer! I strapped on my running shoes and went for a blissful 3-mile run, and enjoyed the crisp winter morning (after you get past the initial shock of the cold, winter running is pretty fun). Once I got home and showered I made myself a nice pot of tea and started rearranging my house, which doesn't happen too much. I also ended up pulling out a canvas and some paints, which I haven't done in at least a year...it was fun to get back into an old hobby. You don't realize how much you miss out on things until you don't have a phone.

Day four:

At this point, my urges to check my phone were gone. While going to work without a phone was kind of difficult because I had to use other people's phone to call for my ride...it was do-able. What I found the most interesting was people giving me more compliments on my appearance. Maybe it was because I was more aware, but people said my skin was clearer and I looked more awake than normal. Without the hour or two spent in my bed checking my various apps in the morning, I actually did my hair and makeup for work too so that was a huge plus in my daily routine. I also felt like I've been sleeping better too, which has done wonders for my skin and attitude for the day.

Day five, and six:

It's been almost a week now without my phone and, honestly, it's been amazing. I go to bed at a normal time, sleep better, and have been going out to do things more. My dishes stay clean and my laundry actually gets folded for once. I've also been able to enjoy some one on one time with my animals, which I'm sure they appreciate as much as me. On day five I actually taught myself how to knit, which is honestly very relaxing. While I would have rather not spent my savings on a new phone, it's been a very enlightening time.

In conclusion, I've learned how much time I actually waste being on my phone. Being without it has taught me a very valuable lesson....to sit back and enjoy life. I've stopped doing so many things I use to do on a daily basis such as, painting and reading an actual book and not a digital one. Once my new one finally comes in, I'll be able to reflect on my time without it, and I'll try not to be as glued to it as normal. A total social media detox is definitely in my future. I recommend this experience to anyone, even for a day or two...but without the broken phone part.