The Biggest Cause Of Conflict

The biggest cause of conflict isn't the differing in values, beliefs, or opinions, though this is a common misconception, but rather the lack of acceptance of the fact that everyone has their own world view, their own reality. It's remarkable to think that every single person on this planet has a different reality. That no matter how similarly two people may think or see the world, everyone's reality is different

from one another's. It's incredible, but also very easy to forget.

I am of the belief that the easiest way to keep in mind that other's perceive the world differently from you, is to engage in conversation with people whom you perceive to be vastly different from yourself. Travel. See how other people live differently. Be open-minded. Push yourself outside your comfort zone... Because ignorance is the greatest killer of potential friendships and intellectually stimulating conversations. Ignorance is the greatest killer of learning and expanding one's knowledge.

As for me, I have always been a rather curious person and have always been one to ask the question of "why". I always want to know the underlying reason for something being the way it is, or for someone holding the beliefs they do. I want to understand the world better, and I want to understand people better. And because of that, I try to never condemn people for having beliefs which might be different from my own. I try to understand that others have different perceptions of the world, even when it comes to rather simplistic ideas such as "Love", "Happiness", "Freedom", or "Safety". Just because you think your beliefs are widely accepted by everyone, doesn't actually mean that they are. The popular belief , isn't the only belief. Even in the case that you adamantly disagree with someone's beliefs, values, or opinions, sometimes it is better to listen to another person's reasons than to immediately judge them and sway them otherwise. Keep in mind, that though you may disagree, and even adamantly so, it is ignorant to not recognize that this person perceives the world differently from you. They have their own reality and their own reasons, and are rightfully entitled to such.

It is very possible to befriend someone who comes from a different cultural upbringing and/or holds different opinions, values, and ideologies than you. What you might perceive to be normal, they may perceive to be strange, and vice versa. I have made many friends who have beliefs that are very much contrary to my own, however, the one similarity that all of these relationships share with another is that they are grounded in respect. Respect over the fact that we have different realities and perceptions of how we view the world. Peaceful coexistence of different values and beliefs is possible, but the real question is, are you ready to get out of your comfort zone? Are you prepared to have your own beliefs challenged? Are you ready to grow as a person?