The Best Places To Go In Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

For your future exploration plans
23

Since I was 3 years old, I have been visiting the wonderful city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. My dad has been a Pirates fan since he was a little boy. But in this city, there is more to do and see than just going to a baseball game (even though that will make my list).

1. You have to see at least one sports game.

Whether you are there in the winter, spring, summer or fall, one of Pittsburgh's sports teams is in town. You do not have to be a Pirates, Penguins, or Steelers fan, but you should go to the game and check out the venue. PNC Park is one of the nicest baseball stadiums in MLB, and I am not just saying that because I am a Pirates fan.

2. Take the Incline.

I have not been on the incline in years but what I do know is that it provides a great view of the city. If you take it to the top, you can get off and walk around while looking down upon the city. It is just something nice that you should do at least one time if you ever visit.

3. Visit the Andy Warhol Museum.

Andy Warhol was a pretty unique guy. His art is awesome and the museum is fun, colorful, and somewhat interactive. I personally enjoy the room with silver balloons floating in the air.

4. Walk across the Roberto Clemente Bridge.

Before every Pirates home game, the bridge is closed to all vehicles so that fans can walk across it. So you should do that or, just walk on the sidewalk that lines the bridge at some point during your visit. And if you do not know who Roberto Clemente is, I suggest you leave the city.

5. Shop in Shadyside.

It is not directly in the city but the drive is not that far. Shadyside is a nice neighborhood with some nice shops including some chain stores. The shops are all outdoor so it is nice to walk around, grab some food and maybe buy yourself a little something.

6. Visit another Carnegie Museum (other than the Warhol).

There is the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Museum of Art, and Science Center. Named after Andrew Carnegie, these museums are part of Pittsburgh and its history. You could probably do them all in one day.

7. Kayak in the Allegheny River.

You can only rent the kayaks in the summer for a short period of time. It is nice to just sit out on the water or go out a ways under the bridges.

8. Go to the Strip District.

There are plenty of shops and lots of food to try. I recommend trying the chicken kabobs they sell in the streets. If you want some inexpensive but tasty food, this is a good place to go.

9. Walk along the Allegheny.

I enjoy walking along the river at night. The view is great and there are some nice little surprises along the walkway. I would tell you what they are, but I think you should see them for yourself.

10. Hang out at Waterfront in Homestead.

Like Shadyside, Homestead is a just a short drive from the city. There are lots of shops, restaurants and there is even a movie theater. I recommend trying Eat'n Park. That is one of my favorite places to eat when I visit the city (it is a chain and I have seen a few other locations).

So these are just my favorite things to do. Of course you can find more things because whenever you go somewhere, there is always something new to do everyday!