7 Reasons Why British Columbia Is The Best Place On Earth

It really is everything you could ask for.

845
Vancouver Economic Commission

There's a reason why countless influential magazines have named Vancouver, British Columbia, "The Most Livable City on Earth." Boasting a lush rainforest, immense mountains and the Pacific Ocean in its backyard, Vancouver is everything you could ask for and more! Up until I was 16 years old, I was lucky to call this waterfront city, home. With that being said, I got to know the city pretty well. Here are some reasons why, in my opinion, Vancouver is the most amazing place in the world.

1. Its Natural Beauty

Within the province of British Columbia, you are able to find basically every single vacation destination you can think of. Whether you are in the mood for hiking, whale watching, swimming, shopping, or wine tasting Vancouver has it all.

2. It's Clean

Vancouver has taken drastic measures in order to become the Greenest City in the World. In fact, over 93% of the electricity around the province is hydroelectric.

3. It's Healthy

The majority of my friends and classmates played at least one sport competitively. Soccer, Hockey, and Field Hockey were among the more popular. Did you know that Lululemon started in Vancouver?

4. Its Weather

Despite popular belief, Canada is not all covered in snow and we don't ride polar bears to school. Vancouver has a climate similar to Seattle. The nine rainy months of the year are worth it once Vancouver transforms into a luscious paradise.

5. Although... It's Expensive

The beauty of Vancouver comes with a price... They say that "B.C." actually stands for "Bring Cash." According to The Province, nine out of 10 of the most expensive houses in Canada are situated in British Columbia-- and are worth over $300-million. That is crazy! Also, if you have a spending problem, I definitely would stay far, far away from stores like Holt Renfrew and Aritzia.

6. It's Diverse

Since Vancouver is very culturally diverse, there are often language barriers between neighbors. In 2011, 20.6% of the population came from places like China, Philippines, France, and Iran. I was lucky to have attended a French Immersion school where I truly learned the meaning of diversity.

7. Most Importantly... Its People

During the 10 years that I lived in this beautiful city, I met the most amazing people on earth. I am thankful every day for the friends, family, soccer coaches, and the rest of the people that I have back home. You all made an impact on my life for the better, and for that, I am grateful.

“Big, beautiful, laid-back, sophisticated, it doesn’t get more west coast than this, some people call it British Columbia, but we call it home." If you ever do decide to make the trip up to Canada, I would highly recommend checking out Beautiful, British Columbia, you won't be disappointed.