The Best of Button Poetry

The Best of Button Poetry

When it comes to B.P, there's no such thing as bad content.

380
The Best of Button Poetry
Button Poetry

The idea of Button Poetry became a reality in 2011. Originally started by Sam Cook and Sierra DeMulder, they later were joined by Rachele Cermak and Heidi Lear. They say that two heads are better than one as they created their blog and website. With the help of many others the same year, they started created a series of high-quality poetry videos. In 2012 and 2013, many new projects were started which included more video projects, albums, and tours. Reaching a whopping 4 million views on their youtube channel added onto their rising success. When watching these videos, you can't deny the emotions that they envoke, which concludes me to say that these are my favorite button poetry videos.

1) "Ten Responses to the Phrase 'Man Up' " - Guante

Favorite line(s): "Not every problem can be solved by growing a pair. You cannot arm-wrestle your way out of chemical depression..." + "I want to be weak sometimes... I want to be strong in a way that isn't about physical power or dominance...I want to talk to my son about something other than sports..."

After I watched this video, I shared it with multiple people because of how it made me feel. As a strong believer in being able to express emotions, and being vulnerable, this spoke volumes.

2) "Ode to the Women on Long Island" - Olivia Gatwood

Favorite line(s): "And last week when a girl was murdered while jogging in Queens, the women on long island were unstartled and furious. They did not call to warn their daughters, they called their sons, sat them at the kitchen table and said, "if you ever make a woman feel uncomfortable, I will take you to the deli and put your hand in the meat slicer. I will make a hero out of you, with mayonnaise and tomatoes and dill and onions.."

This poem was a touching one as you deal with

3) "Siri: A Coping Mechanism" - Patrick Roche

Favorite line(s): "I'm not myself in my own home, my family doesn't actually know me, they talk to my shadow, the boy I leave behind."

This poem speaks for itself and the only thing I could ask after it was over was, "Who's cutting onions?"

4) "To The Boys Who May One Day Date My Daughter" - Jesse Parent

Favorite line(s): "My cheeks are attuned to her lips, I will know if they tremble." + "She will not keep your secret, you can't make fire feel afraid."

One thing I can admit to when watching this video was wondering what direction this man was going to go in with something like this. I smiled and laughing throughout most parts, and not to mention, I was pleasantly surprised with the ending. #WayToGoPoetryDad

5) "Friendzone" - Dylan Garity

Favorite Line: "You cannot kill a monster until you are willing to see it in the mirror."

Assumptions were made when I originally saw a man and the title, "Friendzone" together. Was this going to be another spoken word about a man who felt entitled to something more because he gifted women with friendship and comfort? I couldn't have been more wrong.

6) "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" - Olivia Gatwood

Favorite line(s): "Sex when you need it, puppet when you're bored, let me build myself smaller than you, let me apologize when I get caught acting bigger than you."

I never knew what a Manic Pixie Dream Girl was before a simple google search, and when I found out, the way she conveyed the typical MPDG was what I've noticed in a lot of movies. This topic was new to me, which is why I loved this spoken word so much. It was new and made you open your eyes to all the different MPDG characters in all of our favorite movies.

7) "ODC" - Neil Hilborn

Favorite line(s): "How can it be a mistake if I don't have to wash my hands after I touch her. " + "I can't breathe because he only kisses her once, he doesn't care if it's perfect."

This video has affected me from the first time that I've watched it 3 years ago. There was something so pure about his love for this person, but his illness controlled him to the point where everything he tried so hard to turn into a sweet attempt became too much for this girl because she couldn't understand it.

8) "How to Succeed in Heartbreak" - Victoria Morgan

Favorite Line(s): "Go to museums, realize that other things have history too..." + "You might as well tape your eyelids to your forehead because at least you can lie to yourself while you're awake."

This is one to send to all friends who deal with heartbreak. Her tone can make you laugh enough, but also recognize the hurt behind the words she spoke.